Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 and 51 cenStaffs look up please

Hi everyone,

I have just received a death certificate from 1844 and it has me in a tissy.

The death is for an Elizabeth Wagstaff aged 19 Cotton Spinner living Hot lane, Burslem, Staffs. The informant is also an Elizabeth Wagstaff living Hot lane.

I beleive the 19 yr old is living with a William and Frances on the 41 and is probably a neice, her father being cornelius but who is the other? can anyone find me another Elizabeth on the 41 or 51 living Hot lane

Many thanks

Julie

Julie, just to say have had a look and can't see another Elizabeth Wagstaff.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine,

I just have no idea who she could be

Comment

No, me neither.

Fanny (Frances) is still in Hot Lane in 1851, now widowed, living with children William, Sarah and James and a lodger.

Should we be looking for Cornelius and his wife, or had they died by then?

Comment

Hi Mary,

I have been at this for years. Fanny and William are my direct line and have me stumped. There is no marriage for them but from their sons birth James Bishop Wagstaff I know her maiden name is Hudson. William dies in 1843. I have found baptisms for all the children on the 41 except Elizabeth.
          On the 41 in Hot lane is Cornelius who had 8 children and I can account for all of them on the 41 except Elizabeth and had assumed her to be with William and Fanny.
          There are no baptisms for Cornelius or william. Cornelius marries 4 times and states his father as John, Labourer. the 41 has His youngest Maria with his mother in Newcastle, and I beleive his father died in 1833...
          I was hoping Elizabeth could tie the two families togther, but instead of solving it I now have another query.

Julie
          Last edited by juelzee; 09-09-11, 16:47.

Comment

Hi Julie,

is it possible that Fanny had another name? (ie Elizabeth?)
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie,

have you seen this??

https://www.familysearch.org/search/records#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Aelizabeth~ %2Bsurname%3Awagstaff~ %2Bbirth_year%3A1820-1830~ %2Bfather_givenname%3Acornelius

hmmn, even more interesting

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
              Julie

Comment

Well anything is possible, but so far I have never found fanny under elizabeth. I have traced all cornelius children from birth to death. The only one outstanding is Elizabeth.

Comment

Originally posted by juelzee View Post
                  Well anything is possible, but so far I have never found fanny under elizabeth. I have traced all cornelius children from birth to death. The only one outstanding is Elizabeth.
                  erm, if you click on the links on post #7 you might be suprised :smilee:
                  Julie

Comment

Sorry Darksecret, I am not sure what you are trying to tell me. I already know that Elizabeth was baptised in stafford in 1826

I have found a marriage. Elizabeth Wagstaff to John Ball 1845. Can anyone find her on the cen please
                    Last edited by juelzee; 09-09-11, 20:22.

Comment

I have found baptisms for all the children on the 41 except Elizabeth.
                      apologies if I got this wrong but I thought you said you hadnt found a bapt for Elizabeth
                      Julie

Comment

It is a bit confusing. I never found a baptism for an elizabeth to william and Frances. I did find elizabeths baptism to cornelius but could find nothing after this so had assumed the elizabth in hot lane with william is cornelius daughter thus tying the two fam together.

sorry for not answering sooner as i did not realise there was a 2nd page. Its been awhile since I was on here.
                        Last edited by juelzee; 11-09-11, 08:48.

Comment

No thats ok Julie, I would think that the best course of action would be to go through the pr's and see what lies there, I did see the burial for Elizabeth, it might say more in the pr's.
                          Julie

Comment

The only thing in the pr is that she is 19 living hot lane. Oh its so frustrating.

Comment

ok different tack here,

have you looked to see if there is a William b/of Cornelius?
                              Julie

Comment

From the cen Cornelius is born 1799ish Burlem or Newcastle william 1800 born Burslem.
                                Corn has 8 children 4 survivie to the 41 cen and he married 4 times and stated father john. Corns youngest Maria is with a Sarah Wagstaff in Newcastle who must be his mother. There are two marriages for a John Wagstaff to a Sarah in Newcastle William has 6 children 3 on cen. No marriage found but know mothers name as Francies Hudson.

There is no baptism for william or cornelius and none for presumed father John. There are no wills available for any and no court proceedings either and to top the lot no MIs.
                                You can see why I am frustrated.

Comment

oh yes Julie, I know what you mean, frustration is a bad thing, but I think that you have looked at things pretty well.

I take it his first marriage was in 1846 to Ann Thomas?

then another marriage in 1864 to Ann Bedson? (his last marriage?)

I see now from looking abit further there is another marr in 1822 to Mary Banks
                                  Last edited by Darksecretz; 11-09-11, 14:17. Reason: to add another marriage
                                  Julie

Comment

Thats right, and in 1837 to mary Morris.

Comment

it does seem odd though that no-where has his bapt (Cornelius, I mean) I have tried casting the net abit further and not alot seems to be appearing.
                                      Julie

Comment

I think my next task is to check out poor releif. Daughter Maria is in the wookhouse on the 51 and I think Mother Sarah may have been moved from Burslem to Newcastle after John Died in 1833. Not sure what poor releif can tell me though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X