Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i find out my grandfathers battalion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i find out my grandfathers battalion?

Hi

on the service records of my Great grandfather it states that he was in the 3rd Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers, however he recieved the 1915 Star from action in France and the 3rd Battalion didnt participate in overseas action.

how do i find out what battalion he was in that saw the action?

Many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

it should say in his records Robyne where and when and with which reg't he was with.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

unless im missing some pages, i cant see it. he enlisted to the 3rd, he recieved the Boer war medal and it states it was the 2nd battalion and then i have this medal card from WW2. should i presume that it was still the 2nd battalion? would it help to post the medal card?
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Battalions were reformed frequently in WWI, as large numbers of soldiers were killed and wounded. So he could have been reassigned before he left for France or before his unit joined the battle.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

His service records should give the battalions he served with. If not, they should be listed on the Medal Roll - not online though, you'd need to look at Kew, unless perhaps someone on the Great War Forum site has copies of it.
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

The MIC's which should give his btlns is on Ancestry. They are basically an abbreviated version of the medal rolls which as Annswabey has indicated
            are not on line.
            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

it does have some writing on the index card but i cant make it out! if anyone could take a look i would be grateful. its Christopher Elliott and his regimental number is 6055. It looks like 1st battalion is the only one in France in December 1914 (which is the date of which the MIC says he qualifies for the medal) so im guessing he was in that
              Robyne

Comment

Most Medal cards, online on Ancestry, generally do not give battalions. If you're sure that 1 Bn was the only one in France at the time then I suoppose he was in that.
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Are you aware that the Northumberland Fusiliers has a Museum and Archive office at Alnwick Castle. Web link is http://www.northumberlandfusiliers.org.uk/
                  It would be worth E-mailing them with your queries.
                  Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                  X