Lost computer files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost computer files

Is anyone any good at helping with some stuff I have lost on my computer.
    I used to have some things on the computer and occasionally copied them onto a memory card, I went to get them today and put some more on a memory card but when I try to move them to my memory stick it says file cannot be found in this location. I know I haven't moved them or deleted them so has anyone got any ideas as to where they might be.
    Sorry if it takes me a while to reply it's not me being rude but I work in the evenings now and have a monkey on my hands in the day.
    Jen

I suppose the first question is what are you trying to copy - are they data files / program files - do you know the usual file extension for them.
    Where did you used to keep them?
    Can you actually see them on your computer - or do you think you can see them? I am presuming you can because you say "when I try to move them ....."
    When you plug your memory stick into your computer, can you "see" it when you click on MY COMPUTER?
    Is there enough room on the memory stick?
    Elaine

Comment

When I look at properties it tells me C:\Users\whiteheads\Documents\nintendo\nintend but when I go into documents and copy it it is saying the file isn't there even though I can see it.
      Jen

Comment

Hi Elaine it is some games I have on my computer, I go start, documents then cick my file then choose which game I want and it comes up with a box saying the file is no longer there but I can see the file.
        Jen

Comment

So you are actually looking at the file you want - you right click on it and under properties it gives the location - quoted above.
          Keeping where you are - looking at this file - can you right click and select copy?
          Elaine

Comment

I can yes.
            Jen

Comment

So if you right click and copy - then say go to your desktop - can you right click and paste it?
              Elaine

Comment

I can copy and paste it all over until I try and move it to an external file, which I have now broke my reader arhhhh. Ordered one from ebay so will be here in 3 days hopefully.
                Jen

Comment

Are you trying to move a file or a folder - are you sure it is not part of the installation of that particular Nintendo game and therefore cannot be moved?
                  Presume there is not a lot you can do until you get a new memory stick!
                  Elaine

Comment

I wonder if you unplugged the memory stick one time without disabling it. I'm using Windows XP and you have to do that or the memory stick doesn't close down properly. I think it may be different with Windows Vista and 7.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Sorry I didn't mean to disappear but I have a monster here who has definately hit the terrible 2s' and taking my eyes off him to even come on here is asking for him to climb or do something he knows he shouldn't be doing (I am pretty sure he now knows what a naughty step is) I am hoping my new memory card reader will be here Monday so can try again.
                      John when I have done it before I have just dragged the file accross and once it has finished I remove my memory stick.
                      Jen

Comment

Working...
                      X