HELP needed with Scottish records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP needed with Scottish records

Can anyone help me find a marriage date and place for Charles B...... & Agnes C....... approx 1943 probably Glasgow, Charles was b. Exeter and Agnes b. Glasgow. I have d.o.b's and d.o.d's just can't find a marriage. Also if you are feeling generous with your time and have access to Scottish records, I would like to know what happened to their 7 children i.e. names removed, possible living persons

I do know that ..... married a ..... and that ..... emigrated to Australia. I believe the rest all live(d) in Scotland, so who,when and where they all married would be a great help. ps. Charles(Charlie was in the Black Watch WW11 and died 2011)

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 08-09-11, 10:29. Reason: names removed - possible living persons

Pirate

Scottish records on Scotland's People are all pay to view, no one has a subscription. Also, the records you seek are too recent to be online (mostly) but if you search on Scotland's People you can then order the certificates direct from the site.

OC

Comment

Pirate,
      I am sorry I have had to edit your post but we don't allow the names of living people to be posted on the open forum.

As OC has said, you should be able to find the records from Scotlands People which is a pay per view site.
      If any of our members feel they can help you then you can forward the relevant information (names, dates etc) to them by private message, by clicking on their name to the left of their post.
      Elaine

Comment

A quick free search on SP shows up one marriage for the couple. You will need to order it from the site as it is too recent to be online.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, I have already deduced that access is pay to view which is why I posted here, when you say no one has a subscription do you mean here on FTF ? or in the wider context ? I already subscribe to Ancestry, Find my Past and Genes Re at great cost! so didn't wan't to splash out again unless absolutely necessary! If any one in Scotland or anyone that has access to records can help me , I would gladly reciprocate if you need access to English records without being stung !

Comment

This is the link for Scotland's People

You will need to register and purchase some credits which are not expensive if you use them wisely!

Click on the Statutory Registers for Marriages on the left and enter the two names you have given and you will find one entry for a marriage in 1944.
            It will cost you one credit to view the entry.
            You then have the option of viewing/ordering the extract.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate77 View Post
              Thanks OC, I have already deduced that access is pay to view which is why I posted here, when you say no one has a subscription do you mean here on FTF ? or in the wider context ? I already subscribe to Ancestry, Find my Past and Genes Re at great cost! so didn't wan't to splash out again unless absolutely necessary! If any one in Scotland or anyone that has access to records can help me , I would gladly reciprocate if you need access to English records without being stung !
              Pirate, I think what OC was trying to say is that because it is pay per view then someone would have to use their own credits to look up the information for you - which is a little different to having a subscription where you have already paid for it and it doesn't cost you anything extra to look something up for someone else.
              I don't have many Scottish ancestors so I buy 30 credits at a cost of £7 whenever I need them, so it's not too expensive and if I am careful with my searches then they last a while!

You might be lucky and find that someone has a few credits to spare and will be happy to do a lookup for you.
              Elaine

Comment

Oops! sorry Elaine, didn't mean to cross the line! The problem with Scotlands People is that unless you are sure you have the right person ,you could spend an absolute fortune ordering certs etc. Imagine trying to find a Smith or Jones in England on this basis! They need to wise up if they are ever to make this site and system acceptable to most people. Don't they have a FBMD in Scotland or an IGI or any kind of free access ?

Comment

Hi,
                  I agree with all that has been said by Elaine and OC and also that you would not be able to view recent records on-line.
                  The only way around this was if someone was going to The Scotlands People Centre in Edinburgh.
                  Their records, even quite recent ones, can be viewed for about £15 for a day. In theory you could get dozens of records in one day.
                  The older ones (the ones you can view on SP website) can be printed out for 50p.
                  The more recent ones you would have to transcribe yourself.

Edit - addition to clarify.
                  Last edited by herky; 08-09-11, 12:49.
                  herky
                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate77 View Post
                    Oops! sorry Elaine, didn't mean to cross the line! The problem with Scotlands People is that unless you are sure you have the right person ,you could spend an absolute fortune ordering certs etc. Imagine trying to find a Smith or Jones in England on this basis! They need to wise up if they are ever to make this site and system acceptable to most people. Don't they have a FBMD in Scotland or an IGI or any kind of free access ?
                    It's not a problem - you haven't crossed the line!

With a common name then I agree it can be difficult getting the correct one. You can often use the IGI to find entries which then helps to narrow down your search on Scotlands People, but the marriage you are looking for is too recent to be found on the IGI.

There is no freeBMD similar to England & Wales.
                    Elaine

Comment

Yes - Scottish records are on the IGI.
                      Ancestry has the transcriptions of the Scottish censuses, as does freecen.

I usually try to narrow everything down by using the free sites before going for a cert.
                      And if you get one or two wrong ones in the process then it is still quite cheap.

I have to say, that in my opinion, SP works very well - and I just love the instant access to records - I can race on with a new tree and get back generations fairly quickly.
                      However, I do appreciate that it is more difficult with the more common names and from large population centres. Uncommon names in wee villages are a treat.
                      Happy hunting.
                      herky
                      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Sorry to all my Scottish friends and family but your reputation for being tight fisted is not without foundation it would seem!

Thanks to all that have replied,

I go away a dissapointed and frustrated Pirate!

Comment

Pirate

the problem is mainly that the records you require are too recent to be on any site other than SP.

Half my ancestors were Scottish and I was thrilled with the speed, accuracy and cheapness of my Scottish research - being able to instantly download certificates wehich contain far more information than do English certs was wonderful.

You can do a lot on SP with clever free searching. It only took me a minute to find the marriage you want - there is only one with those two names - and it has to be said that if they had married in England, you would still have to order the cert to find out any information because events as recent as that are not (generally) in the public domain in England either.

OC

Comment

Hi OC,

Apologies! didn't mean to insult your ancestors, I too as you can see have Scottish connections so just a bit of humour really.
                            I agree quick search for marriage produces 1 result ,spend the money you say! but then I search for Agnes's birth and I've 116 to choose from, talk about gambling!
                            With Find-my-past I could open the lot to find what I'm looking for, can you imagine how much researching like that would cost with SP!

I think if they want to be taken seriously an annual subscription appropriate to the value of their collection would be the way forward, I simply can't afford to research this way ongoing so as they say in the Dragons Den "I'm Out"

Thanks again for all your help.

Ps. Is there any real problem with looking for people deemed to be still alive ? I can look up just about anybody on Ancestry or FMP (even myself!) the information is out there in the Public domain! Be interested to know why a problem for FTF, does this contravene the DPA for example or some other dastardly law ?

Comment

No problem with LOOKING for people still alive, the problem comes when sensitive information is bandied about on the internet without that living person's permission. I would personally be furious if I saw a post from someone wanting to know who my parents were, who I married and so on, so as far as I'm concerned, it's do as you would be done by and don't discuss living people behind their backs, lol

OC

Comment

Also, should have said, if you get the marriage cert first, that will tell you how old Agnes was when she married and who her parents were, which will help you to narrow down likely births.

OC

Comment

Yep I understand your concerns OC but the point I am trying to make I suppose is that it's already out there and there's nothing you or I can do about it!
                                  Understand narrowing down the search but I've still got to spend on search and cert first and then there's no guarantee, sorry my friend I just find it a cumbersome money making machine and will boycott it, if more of us refused to use it they would have to re think don't you think ?

Pirate77

Comment

I'm sorry Pirate but I honestly don't know what the problem is - Scottish bmd records are so mch more informative than English ones and they are CHEAPER. If you are going to boycott the Scottish records then you will presumably want to boycott the English ones too, which are so much more expensive and not accessible on line.

As for information already being out there in the public domain - where is it? If it is in the public domain, why are you on here asking for the information? In other words, it is only in the public domain if you are prepared to pay for the information.

OC

Comment

Hi OC, The info I require is most probably contained within SP's records, the fact that I would have to pay to see it doesn't alter the fact that is not a closely guarded secret or protected in law. Whether you accept the moral or ethical argument that one shouldn't do it, is purely down to the individual and a voluntary not mandatory act?
                                      Actually I'm not sure where I stand on this issue, on one hand I feel uncomfortable with the fact that people can research me without my knowledge, then on the other hand I think what the hell ,if there's no protection for me why should I let my conscience concern me !

With regards, SP I think we are at cross purposes, I can't really comment on Scottish records because I haven’t had the pleasure yet! The point I make is that the facility is only available as PAYG . If you are researching as much as I am at the moment you would be broke in no time! They should provide a contract facility to look at as much as you want and as many times as you want within a fixed annual fee. For example I could pour over 500,000 records in the course of a year on FMP and still it costs me less than £99! translate that level of activity onto SP and it would probably start a run on the banks! Do you see my argument now, SP simply cannot be cheaper than a contract arrangement.

Didn't really want to start a debate on the subject but seems that I have! sorry!
                                      Quite understand if we stop here.

Best wishes

Pirate

Comment

I have been following this discussion with interest.
                                        Can a make a comment as a daily user of SP and its records.
                                        You say that for an annual fee on FMP you can look at thousands of records.
                                        What is unique with SP is that you can see the actual images of the certs. For just 1 credit you can view a page of 25 index records. £7 for 30 credits.
                                        On FMP or ancestry you cannot view the( EDIT BDM certs) , and have to pay about £9 to order it. When it comes, as with SP, there is no guarantee that is will be the correct one and you are back to square one and will have to order again. Then wait a second week or so for it to arrive.
                                        At least on SP the cert is very cheap, 5 credits, I can see it instantly and if it is wrong look for another one straight away.

Perhaps you should have a go at some research on SP and see how you get on, it would be interesting.
                                        Best of luck anyway
                                        Last edited by herky; 08-09-11, 20:35.
                                        herky

Comment

Working...
                                        X