Stephenson family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephenson family

Could anyone please help with tracing a family that emigrated to America in 1835 from Dumfrieshire. I found my family on Ancestry when they had a free week. ...............
    They sailed on the Freedonia from Liverpool in 1835
    Arrival date was 12 th August 1835.in New York .
    Unfortunately There was no destination on the form

Robert Stephenson husband 35 clogmaker b Scotland
    Agnes Stephenson wife 35 b Scotland
    Mary Stephenson Daughter 8 b Scotland
    Martha Stephenson Daugher 5 b Scotland
    Jane Stephenson Daughter 5 b Scotland

Any information would be much appreciated
    Thanks
    EP

On the US census for 1850 I can see a Robert Stephenson age 50 born Scotland with wife (no first name age 49) and 3 sons James (14), William (10), and John (8), all born Ohio. His occupation is given as Last Maker which I think is about shoe making. They are living in Cleveland, Elkhard, Indiana
    ref Year: 1850; Census Place: Cleveland, Elkhart, Indiana; Roll: M432_144; Page: 12B; Image: 29.
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 08-09-11, 09:07.

Comment

On the 1860 in the same place is a Robert Stephenson age 58 with wife Agnes age 56 and John Stephenson age 18. Occupation for Robert is Farmer
      ref Year: 1860; Census Place: Cleveland, Elkhart, Indiana; Roll: M653_256; Page: 25; Image: 25; Family History Library Film: 803256.

Comment

Margaret , this looks like it could be my family .They arrived in the USA. in 1835, James was b 1836. James, William and John are the names of Agness`s brothers.
        Many thanks for looking this up . Is there a website where I could find some more info . about their descendants? You have been a great help to me before and you seem to have done it again!

Cheers
        Evelyn

Comment

Here's Agnes in 1870 Ref Year: 1870; Census Place: Cleveland, Elkhart, Indiana; Roll: M593_311; Page: 191A; Image: 63; Family History Library Film: 545810. She is living with Martha J Stephenson (both are transcribed as Stevinson) age 12 years born Indiana. Seems still living on a farm.

This information is from the US census available on ancestry worldwide sub. Using the references I have given you may be able to view and print the images at your local library.

Finding descendants is not so easy as a lot of records for USA are not on line. Try a google search for Indiana genealogy - there may be some forum sites you could join for further help. Have a look also at the reference library on this site for USA research sites. I am not well up on this type of research myself.

Comment

Margaret, this is looking more and more positive . Agnes seems to be living with a grandaughter Martha J. Agnes had a daughter Martha and a daughter Jane, Grandaughter could be Martha Jane. There are too many co-incidences for it not be the family I am looking for.I can`t thank you enough.I have been searching for two years , and I feel I am getting somewhere.I will see what I can get at the library .
            Much appreciate you taking the time
            Thanks
            EVELYN

Comment

Elaine , I think I am confusing follks by posting on two different places , I think !! It was good of you to sort it out . I will keep on this one if that is ok. Just off to the library to see if I can get images of info given me by Margaret.
              Thanks
              EVELYN

Comment

No problem!

Do have a look in the reference library on here - click on REFERENCE LIBRARY on the navigation bar which runs along the top of the screen, then WORLD INDEX --> UNITED STATES OF AMERICA --> INDIANA. Quite a few links there.

Also (as I think Photofamily suggested on the other thread) have a look in the FamilySearch site - click here
                If you follow the links through under the BROWSE BY LOCATION heading, USA --> INDIANA - you will see there are some Indiana marriages included. You might be able to follow some of the Stephenson children through to a marriage and then on the US census (also included in the Family Search site)
                Elaine

Comment

How did you get on at the library? were you able to get the images you wanted?
                  Margaret

Comment

Margaret
                    Got on great thanks . I got 1870 for Agnes and Grandaughter Martha J. Also 1860 and 1850 . Unfortunately there was a problem with their printer,and I couldnt print them But they are there , I read them ! I will go back next week to collect them. It was great to see their names in black and white . Many thanks for that.
                    Elaine has given me a few ideas , will follow them up.It is so generous of you all to take the trouble to help novices like me . I realise I still have a lot to learn
                    Cheers
                    Evelyn

Comment

I've looked in Familysearch for Indiana Stephenson marriages - didn't see much. Familysearch only seems to have the marriages.

Have you wondered if Henry P McNaughton might also be a grandchild? It's a likely reason for him to be in the household. Unfortunately, US census doesn't record relationship until 1880. Also unfortunately, he disappears after that 1860.

Oh, here we go: Neil McNaughton marries Mary Stevenson 14 Aug 1849, Elkhart, Indiana (from familysearch)

Unfortunately (sorry to say it again), it doesn't have parent names - the few Indiana marriages I've looked at were from LaPorte County - they were also just names of bride & groom, date of marriage.
                      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 10-09-11, 05:52.

Comment

Ah - Mary, Neil & Henry are in a OneWorld Tree - Henry P had two children, Laura Jesslyn & Margaret - and the tree seems to be tracing Laura. The tree doesn't have Mary's parents. Maybe the owner will be glad to hear from you!

Apparently you can download a GEDCOM:
                        This database contains family trees submitted to Ancestry by users who have indicated that their tree can be viewed by all Ancestry subscribers.

I don't see how you can communicate with the tree originator
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 10-09-11, 05:48. Reason: more info

Comment

Hi PhotoFamily

This is very good of you ,and I think the marriage of Mary and Neil seems to be the right family .Mary would be about 20,so age is good. I knew absolutely nothing a week ago but thanks to you and Margaret I may have living relatives in Indiana.Great ! I notice the owner had it on Ancestry. Do you think it would be a good idea if I posted it on Ancestry, and took a chance someone might see it ?
                          Thanks a lot
                          Evelyn

Comment

Evelyn, there is another tree on Ancestry - http://awt.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/ig...I02543&ti=5538

- showing that Mary married twice - the first time to Neil McNaughton on 14th Aug 1849 Elkhard County, Indiana
                            - and then a second marriage to Giles Jackson (b1794 South Caroline) - married c1855 Elkhart County, Indiana - one child shown Rebecca Jackson b1856 Elkhart Co.

- might be worth checking out!!
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by julip View Post
                              Hi PhotoFamily

This is very good of you ,and I think the marriage of Mary and Neil seems to be the right family .Mary would be about 20,so age is good. I knew absolutely nothing a week ago but thanks to you and Margaret I may have living relatives in Indiana.Great ! I notice the owner had it on Ancestry. Do you think it would be a good idea if I posted it on Ancestry, and took a chance someone might see it ?
                              Thanks a lot
                              Evelyn
                              I think you should put your tree up or that bit of it you want to attract connections to, also send a message to the tree owner as they may not be actively working on theirs at the moment so wouldn't see yours, but they would get a message via ancestry to their email account.
                              Margaret

Comment

This 1881 book may have some info for you:

You may be able to google the title and find it online, or order the film to review at a family history centre.

There was a movement in the US in the later 1800s to write such books. They typically have some boiler-plate history of the state and county, and then they go thru the county, interviewing inhabitants. The smaller the township and county, the greater percentage of the population that is included. They can provide quite a bit of family history (not necessarily 100% accurate). I even have a sketch of my g'g'g'grandfather (born 181?) from the equivalent book for LaPorte county.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                  This 1881 book may have some info for you:
                                  www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno =206417&disp=History+of+Elkhart+County%2C+Indiana &columns=*,0,0

You may be able to google the title and find it online, or order the film to review at a family history centre.
                                  Available to download (free!) from Internet Archives - or you can read it online
                                  http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...nty%2C Indiana
                                  Elaine

Comment

I have just been to Library again ,got a phone this morning to say printers are working, so decided to get all my census forms that you all have been so great in looking up for me, I just couldn`t have got all this info by myself.I actually didn`t know about these sites until a few months ago , and plucked up the courage to put in a post.Margaret was my first helper and she is still around for me . Really appreciate the generousity of time of you all.

I got the censuses I needed for Agnes and Martha 1870. it looks as though Robert must have died before that as I checked the page before and he was n`t on it . I know now that sometimes families are split up , but hadn`t realised i could look at the before and after pages.I likethe way Agnes is described as `keeping house`.Martha is listed as Martha J. Leigh, so one of Agnes daughters must have married a Leigh, will try to follow that up.
                                    I found 1850 census for Mary Stevenson 22 and Neil Mc Naughton 36 m 1849 . Goshen, Elkart.His occupation is Brewery Beer !
                                    1860 Census Mary Jackson and Giles Jackson , Mary`s second marriage, with daughter Rebecca Jackson and Mary J Fisher. As Giles is older than Mary , Mary Fisher could be a child of one of Giles daughters.
                                    1870 census Giles Jackson aged 73 and Rebecca Jackson 14, it looks like Mary Stevenson died before 1870.Giles is a farmer.Rebecca attending school.Rel estate 3000 acres?

Margaret do you mean put my tree on ancestry ?. I have the Porteous tree on Ancestry.I notice a name and what looks like an email address on the tree you gave me, should I contact her direct.?

As you all can tell I am having a good day! After 2 years of searching I am so pleased to find this family . Many thanks to all of you for a tremendous help.
                                    Evelyn
                                    Last edited by julip; 10-09-11, 14:22. Reason: putting in capitals and commas etc

Comment

Well yes you could put your Stephenson tree on ancestry - I have several for different strands of my family.

I would certainly make contact with everyone I found who was connected to my family history, if she's given an email address then certainly use that.
                                      Margaret

Comment

Thanks PhotoFamily and Elaine , will see if I can find anything. Great you found a picture , hope I am as lucky.

Evelyn

Comment

Working...
                                        X