hi, Larkin family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi, Larkin family

Hi, Need help again, went off on wrong tree at begining. Gt grandfather william larkin abt 1841 married Emma Walker on 9 december 1860, I have just got copy of marriage certificate, it shows his father as John Larkin. ( I had a robert and mary as parents from aldenham)I always thought he came from aldenham herts, but cannot find a william with a father John in that area, only one in Wickhembreaux Kent, with John as father. So have hit the proverbial brick wall again. I use Ancestry UK but can't find anything.

Is it possible that Robert was actually John Robert, but known just as Robert?

Reason I ask is because on my grandparents marriage certificate, grandad's father's name is given as Albert, so I set off to find an Albert. No luck. Then discovered that his real name was William Albert and, hey presto, things began to fall into place.

Also if William was born abt 1841 that's around the time of the first census and so by the time of the next one, 1851, his father could have died. Have you tried looking for possible deaths for the father in the period between 1841 and 1851?

Apologies if these suggestions are a bit simplistic, but sometimes it's possible to overlook the obvious - I know, I've done it myself before now.

STG
    Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 05-09-11, 08:33. Reason: edited for grammar
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Hi

Do the witness' on the marriage cert hold any clues? why did you think that he (william) came from Herts?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

ah I now see that he gives his POB as Herts..
        Julie

Comment

Hi
          There was a William Larkin bap 1st Nov 1840 at Aldenham mother Emma Larkin.
          He is possibly the 8 month old William living with Robert & Mary at Aldenham in 1841.
          Emma Larkin married John Hawkins Qtr 4 1842 Watford reg district.
          In 1851 John & Emma Hawkins are living in Aldenham with a 10 year old son William Hawkins.
          In 1861 William Hawkins is no longer living with them.
          John Hawkins may or may not be William's father.
          This is possibly his birth registration.
          William Larkin Oct/Nov/Dec 1840 Watford Herts Vol 6 Page 551 which could name a father even though the baptism record doesn't.
          Moggie

Comment

what occupation does John do according to the marriage cert please,
            Julie

Comment

hmm is there an alternate way you could prove his parentage? father's names on certs are not always correct. i have a william shaw marrying 1855, his father is listed as william. but his kids are with grandparents in the 1861 census, where if you follow the family backwards and forwards, william's father if george, and he is living with his parents in the 1851.

Comment

Do the names of the witnesses to the marriage provide any enlightenment?

STG
                Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Working...
                X