burley 1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burley 1911 census

hi can anyone send me a few 1911 censuses as ancestry still hasnt got access.ada burley 1878.born knodishall suffolk....harriet burley 1900 born wickham market suffolk.agnes burley 1895 born suffolk.any help would be appreciated.could you send any info to email address removed
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 05-09-11, 07:21. Reason: email address removed

If you google 1911 census your will be able to look up your relatives by buying a few credits.

sunny

Comment

Coldplayfan, am sorry but I have had to remove your email address as we don't advise posting them on an open forum.

Ancestry does have access to the 1911 census via the enumorators' books and the images - the problem at the moment is that it is not indexed, but that doesn't mean there are not ways of finding what you want!

The first thing to do is to use the official 1911 census site (which is free) to see if you can find where the family might be. I'll have a look for you.
      Elaine

Comment

Using the official 1911 census site - click here

Using a general search with the names given doesn't produce any suitable results. I see that on the 1901 census Ada was single with the two children - the first thing to check would be a possible marriage.
        Using freeBMD there is a marriage in Suffolk for an Ada Burley to either Frederick Baldry or William Whiley

A search for Ada Baldry born 1877 Suffolk brings up a result - living in the Mutford registration district.

Then go back to the search page again - and enter
        Surname - Baldry
        Registration district - Mutford

and under the "other members of the household" enter Ada Baldry

This should give us any household in Mutford that has an Ada Baldry living there. You can see from the list that there is a Frederick listed, as well as a Harriett of the right age.

Go back and do the search again, but this time under the "other members of the household" enter Harriett. What you are trying to do here is bring the search results down until you have found your family set up.

On this search you will get:
        BALDRY ADA 1877
        BALDRY FREDERICK 1872 Mutford registration district

plus Harriett that we found on the previous search - BALDRY HARRIETT 1901

- so you have 1 male and 2 female Baldrys living in Mutford registration district.

Go to the 1911 census SUMMARY BOOKS on ANCESTRY - click here
        Enter surname = Baldry
        Males = 1
        Females = 2
        Registration district = Mutford

- and you get one result of a Baldry family living at 2 Christie House Rock Road

Take the following information:
        Household schedule = 164
        County = Suffolkd
        Sub-registration district = Oulton Broad
        ED, institution, or vessel = 10

Go to the 1911 census IMAGES on ANCESTRY - click here

In the drop down boxes on the right, enter the information above = Suffolk / Oulton Broad / ED 10
        It will take you to page 1 for the images of the census.
        Take your household schedule number of 164 and double it = 328

Go to image 328 (top right of image box) and you will find your census image. Sometimes it may be necessary to scroll backwards or forwards a couple of pages, but it usually takes you to the correct page.

Hope that helps!
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

I am having problems location the Bradshaw family using the techinque above. Following your instructions I have found that there should be 1 male and 2 females living in Howden at the same address.

but when i try to find the summary books, nothing comes up.

John Bradshaw b1864
          Mary Ann Bradshaw b 1877
          Alice Maude Bradshaw b 1900 (30th sept)

However in the 1901 cenus (yorkshire - Bishopsoil, Dist 4 - 1), they are living as lodgers with Thomas and Alice Morritt but when I search these names under bradshaw, there is nothing.

Please can you tell me where i am going wrong
          Last edited by mpjacko; 10-09-11, 19:35.

Comment

Do you mean that you've accessed the 1911 census summary books on Ancestry and not found a matching J Bradshaw or Mr Bradshaw in Howden? In your Ancestry search you will only find the head of household plus an address, because that's all the summary book contains, apart from the references you need to find the actual census sheet.

Of course it's possible that they were still in lodgings in 1911, so John Bradshaw wouldn't be the head of household, but you need to match up and discard all the Ancestry hits for the summary books first. Bradshaw isn't the commonest of names so there shouldn't be too many to plough through.

Once you've gone through all the hits on Ancestry and eliminated all of them, that's the time to come back for further help.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The problem is, that when I follow all the instructions, Ancestry says there is 0 matches for 1m, 2f in Howden. If they were lodgers, the question is, how do you use the 1911census search function to find who these people were living with?

Comment

I don´t think you are doing anything wrong. My first thought was the name has been badly transcribed.

Try searching the summary books with a lot less information,
                eg.
                males = 1
                females = 2
                first name = john
                registration district = Howden

and do the same but with the first name just as the letter j - the reason for this is that very often only the initial was recorded rather than the first name.

What you are looking for is any name that looks like a bad transcription of Bradshaw!!
                The one that jumps out at me is John Madshans -and if you look at the image I think it should be Bradshaw.

Using the information from there go to the 1911 England census and enter the info in the drop down boxes on the right of page.

Let me know if you can´t find it.
                Elaine

Comment

You are right. The text has been transcribed wrong.

Thanks again for your help

Comment

thank you

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    Using the official 1911 census site - click here

Using a general search with the names given doesn't produce any suitable results. I see that on the 1901 census Ada was single with the two children - the first thing to check would be a possible marriage.
                    Using freeBMD there is a marriage in Suffolk for an Ada Burley to either Frederick Baldry or William Whiley

A search for Ada Baldry born 1877 Suffolk brings up a result - living in the Mutford registration district.

Then go back to the search page again - and enter
                    Surname - Baldry
                    Registration district - Mutford

and under the "other members of the household" enter Ada Baldry

This should give us any household in Mutford that has an Ada Baldry living there. You can see from the list that there is a Frederick listed, as well as a Harriett of the right age.

Go back and do the search again, but this time under the "other members of the household" enter Harriett. What you are trying to do here is bring the search results down until you have found your family set up.

On this search you will get:
                    BALDRY ADA 1877
                    BALDRY FREDERICK 1872 Mutford registration district

plus Harriett that we found on the previous search - BALDRY HARRIETT 1901

- so you have 1 male and 2 female Baldrys living in Mutford registration district.

Go to the 1911 census SUMMARY BOOKS on ANCESTRY - click here
                    Enter surname = Baldry
                    Males = 1
                    Females = 2
                    Registration district = Mutford

- and you get one result of a Baldry family living at 2 Christie House Rock Road

Take the following information:
                    Household schedule = 164
                    County = Suffolkd
                    Sub-registration district = Oulton Broad
                    ED, institution, or vessel = 10

Go to the 1911 census IMAGES on ANCESTRY - click here

In the drop down boxes on the right, enter the information above = Suffolk / Oulton Broad / ED 10
                    It will take you to page 1 for the images of the census.
                    Take your household schedule number of 164 and double it = 328

Go to image 328 (top right of image box) and you will find your census image. Sometimes it may be necessary to scroll backwards or forwards a couple of pages, but it usually takes you to the correct page.

Hope that helps!
                    thank you elaine il look that up

Comment

Working...
                    X