Help needed to find London death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to find London death

My grandmother was illiterate and this has led me a merry dance tracking her down through
    records. With help from FTF, I have found most of the possible records. I have never been able to find death of my grandfather.

On Ancestry, some of her children up to 1903 were baptised at St James parish church, Edmonton, Middx. The church no longer exists.

I know she lived in Edmonton so that would be place of death, unless he died in a hospital out of district. I was always told her husband, Thomas W (?William) Saville died when his son was about 2yrs old, which makes year of death 1910.

Have tried wild card search on Ancestry to no avail. Some spelling variations have been Sarile, Savil, Savile.

He is absent from the 1911 census, which looks to have completed by her daughter. Her marital status is described as married twice, whereas Thomas Saville was her 3rd husband (I have the cert). Her surname is given as that of her second husband, Cranwell...This was the surname of the daughter from her second marriage, who completed the form. The Savile (sp)children are all on the census...

I haven't a current subs to Ancestry but various Thomas Saviles show for probate records in Middx. Unlikely to be him - they were quite poor and doubt he had anything to leave.

There is the possibility that they separated and he did not die but I can't see that being kept a secret with older children around. Thanks for attempts at trying with this one...
    Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 04-09-11, 11:20.
    Liz

what year was Thomas W born liz?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

there is a death for a Thomas Saville in Edmonton 1909 Jun quarter 3A 298 aged 62

Comment

Julie & Val: Sorry I didn't put his year of birth in. It was 1867/8 in West Hythe, Kent. Thanks for putting that BMD death ref up, Val, I couldn't find it this time when I searched Ancestry. He would have been about 42 years of age...knowing how many mistakes there are on anything to do with my grandmother and records, wonder if it is him. It is certainly the only one I could find...
        Liz

Comment

Not what you are asking for, ...but if I can help with any West Hythe area records, just say.
          That is not far from me.

Gwyn

Comment

in that case what about Thomas W Savill aged 53 died Dunnow Essex 1920 Mar 4A 1025

Comment

Gwyn - you have kindly checked out his bap records in the past and he wasn't on them. His father was at some time a butler.

Val - thank you for that one, which I have kept on a word doc about Thomas. My hunch is that the age could be wrong on the first BMD ref in 1909 Edmonton but I hate dealing with the GRO. Can't afford to waste getting a wrong death cert...

Thank you all for having another go at this for me. I was just updating my GEDCOM on Tribal Pages.
              Liz

Comment

if you put a checking reference like occupation etc they issue a part refund if its not right I believe?

Comment

I know Val...I can't trust my gran to have got anything right when it comes to forms. Perhaps when I am less strapped for cash, I can risk it...thanks for trying for me...
                  Liz

Comment

you never know liz, the info like age could be a GRO mistake....the informant could possibly help.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      if you put a checking reference like occupation etc they issue a part refund if its not right I believe?
                      They don't issue any part refunds now. They either issue a certificate if the record matches the details you give or they don't issue one if the details don't match and they refund everything.
                      Why not try the local Register Office they might be kind and check the register before you order.
                      Margaret

Comment

Margaret - I have tried the local Enfield Reg Office in the past for certs and they are not helpful. Such a contrast to Cardiff R. O. who have been great.
                        Liz

Comment

Working...
                        X