Second opnion - name on marriage certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second opnion - name on marriage certificate

Could someone look at the image of the marriage certificate for Edward Edmund Fisher and Charlotte Swonney on the LMA records on Ancestry

I cannot find any earlier reference to the name Swonney so think it may be a mistranscription - any other ideas what it might be!

Thanks.
    Elaine

Elaine

That is what it looks like to me, her signature is more clear that the Vicars writing but can't think what else it could be. Most unusual name though!!
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

What about Swanney as a possibility?

STG
      Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thanks to you both for looking.
        Can't see anything under the name Swanney either!
        Elaine

Comment

It's been transcribed as Swonney on Free BMD too.

STG
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Can you track her backwards in the censuses by using her first name, age, address and father?

(I don't have access to Ancestry to have a look, myself.)

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1891&indiv=1
              found this for you , but not a lot of info on the family, am still looking on Ancestry for you

Comment

Have you any idea where she was Born,...
                I have found a charlotte Swane ..father william,mother Mary, christened at (St Botlphs without Bishopgate,City of London)
                http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...indiv=1&hovR=1

Comment

This could have changed to swanney / swonney
                  I know some of my name searches have changed...

Comment

Petrene did you notice their children were born before they married in 1882? mmmmmmmmmm
                    Wonder if Charlotte and Edward were from a previous marriage ?? although they say Bachelor and Spinster? on the marriage
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-09-11, 00:34.

Comment

here is the first daughter Charlotte's baptism Father was a Stoker then ?

Comment

She has actually signed it Swonney hasnt she.

I was just thinking - if she is none too bright - how people add an extension to names, sort of nicknames - like Smithy for Smith. I spose its just possible dad was Mr Swann or Swaine? Sweeney?

In 1881 Edward has a different wife - mother of the kids.
                        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 04-09-11, 01:08.

Comment

Thanks everyone for looking.

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...rc=&pid=745296
                          here is the first daughter Charlotte's baptism Father was a Stoker then ?
                          This is a different family Val. They are on the 1881 census living in Croydon.

Ahtough Edward and Charlotte didn't seem to get married until 1882, I have found them together on the 1861 and 1891 census.
                          In 1871 Edward seems to be on his own with two of the children - cannot find Charlotte (or baby Charlotte) in 1871.
                          In 1881 Edward's wife is down as Elizabeth (am hoping this is Charlotte in disguise!)
                          1891 shows Edward and Charlotte together.

I have found 5 children so far - Emma (c1860), George (c1868), Charlotte (c1870), Edward (c1873) and Maria (c1879). I don't think I have found baptisms for any of them.

St Luke seems to have been given as the birth place for Edward, Charlotte and all the children, throughout the census, - although in one instance Charlotte just gives birth place as Middlesex.

Originally posted by petrene View Post
                          I have found a charlotte Swane ..father william,mother Mary, christened at (St Botlphs without Bishopgate,City of London)
                          Thanks for that one - the closest I have got so far!
                          Also fits in with Heather's suggestion of Swane -> Swaney.
                          Will follow it up.
                          Elaine

Comment

Charlotte b 1971
                            Edmund b 1873
                            Maria b 1879
                            On 1891 all family born in/at St Lukes....
                            it is possible they had the children but didnt get married till later ? a tough one this is....
                            have you any more info at all, i dont mind searching as i do have Ancestry...you can also get a trial offer if you want to do some searching.................Ancestry have offer on from time to time and think there is one at the moment.also have you tried Latter Day Saint site,that is free.............

Have you trie the link i sent you on previous post

hope it work,this is from the 1891 census

Comment

Just had a second look on the marriage cert, they are both living at the same address when married
                              and they are both in ther 40's..............they could have been living together for a while befor taking the plung.......still the name is a puzzle .......happy searching...................will keep searching as once i get a bee in my bonnet..................

Comment

Thanks for your help petrene.
                                I am sure the 1891 census is the correct one (yes I do have Ancestry)
                                I have a feeling that the marriage certificate is the right one for the family, and it's just that Edward and Charlotte didn't marry first and have children later!
                                I have also found them in the Criminal registers & newspapers - Edward, Charlotte and Edward junior - assault - in 1887.
                                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                  I have also found them in the Criminal registers & newspapers - Edward, Charlotte and Edward junior - assault - in 1887.
                                  ooh how wonderful Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                    ooh how wonderful Elaine
                                    It's those bits that make it all the more interesting!
                                    Unfortunately it's not my tree - doing it for a friend.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Although I do agree that it looks as if Charlotte clearly signed her surname, I wondered if in fact it could be Twomey ?

Gwyn

Comment

found one birth which could be George, George F Fisher St Lukes Sep 1866 1B 631

Comment

Working...
                                        X