1911 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census

On this forum can I ask for information published in the 1911 Census, or are the records copywright?

Gooner

You can certainly ask - but you have to remember that the Ts & Cs of a Findmypast subscription say that subscribers should not do look ups for others!

However, there are ways of finding a certain amount of information doing free searches, so give the details as someone might be able to help.

Am moving your thread to our Research Qs & As forum - you will get more response from there.
    Elaine

Comment

1911 Census

Free BMD records the marriage of Joseph Priest and Louisa Banks in 1904 in Ecclesall Bierlow (Sheffield/Derbyshire boundary area) and the birth of a son, Philip, in 1909.

I'm starting from scratch using some pencil entries found in an old family bible and want to research the family/ancestors of Joseph and Louisa. I think both were born in Sheffield but their respective ages are unknown - but would be recorded in the 1911 census. With knowledge of their place of birth and age I'm hoping to work backwards to find their respective families.

Can anyone help me, please?

Comment

both born Sheffield, he was 38 and she 28; found from free indexes.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Many thanks Judith. Can you expand on 'free indexes' - what is this, where can I find it? Are these the birth years for Joseph and Louisa as recorded in the 1911 census?

Comment

Originally posted by gooner View Post
            Many thanks Judith. Can you expand on 'free indexes' - what is this, where can I find it? Are these the birth years for Joseph and Louisa as recorded in the 1911 census?
            You can look at http://www.1911census.co.uk/ for information. If you have a sub to ancestry they have indexes based on the enumerators schedules,the images are there and can be seen but with a bit a struggle at the moment.

There are only ages shown on the census so you work out the year of birth from that and look a year either side. The place will be what they have put down - the 1911 shows what the householder wrote rather than what the enumerator transcribed from the form everyone filled in.
            Margaret

Comment

The 1911 census is on the 1911 site (as already mentioned), but also on FindMyPast, and on GenesReunited. You can often play of one lot of free search data against another, if you're cunning - especially if the names aren't too common.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If you have ancestry he is here in 1901 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=27809252

If not this is the household
                Joseph Priest 65 head
                Hannah Priest 62 wife
                Joseph Priest 28 son cutlery manager
                Linder Robinson 10 grandson
                Walter Wingfield 51 boarder

Comment

Here's Louisa in 1901 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=27830980

she's a servant in the household.

Margaret

Comment

Here's Louisa in 1891 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=5283170

John H Banks 35 head
                    Emma Banks 35 wife
                    Violet Banks 11 daughter
                    Nathan Banks 10 daughter
                    Louisa A Banks 7 daughter
                    Samuel Banks 5 son
                    John H Banks 3 son
                    Eva G Banks daughter 4/12

Comment

Some 3 hours ago I had little more than a blank sheet of paper but now have some positive leads to research these two families. Many thanks to everyone for your helpful replies and information.
                      Last edited by gooner; 06-10-11, 06:53.

Comment

Good luck and let us know if you need any further help.
                        Margaret

Comment

Working...
                        X