RN Service WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RN Service WW1

Although I have a photo of my g/father, James Mann READER b Sutton Bridge Lincs, 21/5/1876, in RN ratings uniform around time of WW1, cannot trace any online record of service or medals via National Archives RN site. Grateful if anyone can help to say why or where alternatives might be to check. (He was also long time merchant seaman since at least late 1890s but only have some MN service history from early 1920s)
    Thanks, David

Hi David

Welcome to FTF and I have just googled RN service records and it said that they were gradually all being transferred to Kew but they were not searchable on line nor would the staff do a search for you.

The only thing you can do is go yourself or hire a researcher.

Not very good news but google and have a look yourself.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

There are several entries for him in the new Merchant Navy records on fmp. I'm sending you a pm.

scuda
      Last edited by scuda; 03-09-11, 16:52.
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Maybe the records I've found are what you already have - they start in 1922.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thanks Lin. In fact I was able to search National Archives for RN ratings and a number of Readers came up, including 2 of my g/father's brothers, but not James. Maybe he is still one of those yet to be listed but would have thought he might have been listed under the WW1 medals search but again alas not. Could of course be that he remained in MN during war and photo is for another period when in RN - not sure if MN sailors got medals.
          Regards, David

Comment

This will explain who got what medals and yes merchant Marine did get a medal

Edna

Comment

Mercantile WW1 Medal

Originally posted by clematised View Post
              http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww1...ign-medals.htm

This will explain who got what medals and yes merchant Marine did get a medal

Edna
              Many thanks. The site says that MN WW1 medal records are not held at Kew and another site I have visited says individual WW1 MN records for 1913-18 were destroyed. An FTM member sent me (fantastic) my g/father's MN records but are for post WW1. Is there a site I can search for MN WW1 medals? So much info already in a few days - thanks to all.
              David

Comment

http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/ You can subscribe to the Mariners list from this link and ask a question of your relative as there are many experienced people there and have had help in the past myself

Edna

Comment

Working...
                X