Boer War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boer War

Trying to find information on Arthur Kettle (Birth & birthplace) he was killed in action

Soldier number: 5422
    Unit: 1 Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment

Killed on 2 Apr 1900 at Nr Dewetsdorp (Official casualty roll location: Nr Dewetsdorp)
    It's better to strike a straight
    blow with a crooked stick,
    than spend a whole life time
    trying to straighten the stick.

sagaboy, I see you're in Worcs - have you tried looking in the local papers for the weeks/months following 2 April 1900? I would have thought there would be a mention of Worcestershire Regiment casualties which might hold a few clues.

scuda
    Last edited by scuda; 03-09-11, 16:16.
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Sagaboy, am moving your thread to our Research Qs & As forum.
      Elaine

Comment

Sagaboy. The Worcestershire Regimental Museum, based at Worcester, may have the information you need. The Boer war Memorial in Worcester Cathedral gives Arthur's number as 5420 though, (have a look at Boer war Memorials site). Hope this helps, I found my grandfather's DCM record at The Suffolk Regt Museum.

sunny
        Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 04-09-11, 14:10.

Comment

There is a chap on the net, a serving soldier who is acknowledged a world authority on the Boer War. He used to do look ups at Kew for various records (very economically). His name is Kevin Asplin - have a google for some of his Boer War sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
            There is a chap on the net, a serving soldier who is acknowledged a world authority on the Boer War. He used to do look ups at Kew for various records (very economically). His name is Kevin Asplin - have a google for some of his Boer War sites.
            He still does lookups...he's posting me some material tomorrow. He's really pleasant and seems very efficient. I've only heard good things about his research.
            Kind regards,
            William
            Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

I've found some good info on his web site. Might be worth having a look there.
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Boer war research help

Thank you all for the advise - plenty now to go on.
                I'll post the results.

Thanks
                Sagaboy
                It's better to strike a straight
                blow with a crooked stick,
                than spend a whole life time
                trying to straighten the stick.

Comment

Working...
                X