Hector Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hector Rose

Hector Rose was the brother of my great-great-grandmother - he was born in Scotland in approx. 1827 and died in England approx. June 1872. He was the Head Gardener of Queen Victoria at Windsor and prior to that was the gardener of the Duke of Roxburgh at Floor Castle. I have been told that Queen Victoria presented him with a plaque to show her satisfaction of his gardening work. I would be grateful if anyone can give me any more details on Hector.

This is a bit out of date as it was posted in 2000
    Moggie

Comment

i guess you could ask windsor castle if their are employment records. i have seen threads here that have contacted palaces and castles and have gotten employment records.

Comment

You may already have seen them but there are several reports of his death & funeral in the Gale newspapers online.
        Let me know if you would like any details.
        Moggie

Comment

Hector Rose

Thank you all for your replies. Moggy I have not seen the reports on Hector's death and funeral and would be grateful if you could give me details.
          Macca
          Last edited by Macca3; 04-09-11, 04:21.

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
            http://www.mail-archive.com/lanark-l.../msg11485.html
            This is a bit out of date as it was posted in 2000
            Moggie
            Thanks for this Moggie - the Hector Rose mentioned in this post unfortunately was not the one who was the brother of my great-great-grandmother as his parents were John Rose and Margaret MacKay. The Hector Rose mentioned although was stated to be a gardener was however not the one who was Queen Victoria's Head Gardener.
            Macca

Comment

Originally posted by Macca3 View Post
              Thanks for this Moggie - the Hector Rose mentioned in this post unfortunately was not the one who was the brother of my great-great-grandmother as his parents were John Rose and Margaret MacKay. The Hector Rose mentioned although was stated to be a gardener was however not the one who was Queen Victoria's Head Gardener.
              Macca
              Hi
              A bit of a coincidence two men named Hector Rose, both being gardeners.
              I have saved two newspaper cuttings . If you send me a PM with your email address I can send them to you.
              Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie I would really appreciate a copy of the two newspaper cuttings. My email address is: address removed
                Macca

(Sorry about this - did not know how to give my email address privately - have now found out and have sent a private post)
                Last edited by Macca3; 06-09-11, 00:38.

Comment

Thanks Moggie I would really appreciate a copy of the two newspaper cuttings. My email address is: address removed
                  Macca
                  Your email address has been removed as we don't advise posting them on an open forum.
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi there,
                    I joined FTF when I saw this thread on Google. Hector Rose was my great-great grandfather and I have copies of a couple of newspaper obituaries but nothing about his funeral, so would also be interested if possible. I have some information from Windsor Castle from an Aunt of mine, so happy to share what I have. Need to learn private posts though.
                    Pat

Comment

Hi Pat,
                      Welcome to FTF.
                      If you want to send a private message (pm) to Macca click on his/her name and then click private message. You won't be able to send attachments - you will need to exchange email addresses to do that.
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

re hector rose

Thank you all for your replies. Moggy I have not seen the reports on Hector's death and funeral and would be grateful if you could give me details.
                        Macca
                        hi there this is for all members of his family about 8/10 years in anauction house in london i purchased the set of spoons given him by the duke of roxburghe when he left his service to go to wndsor castle also includedwere various original family documments his marriage cert/a bith cert 14/04/1867 an extract dated4/08/1872 and an original copy of his obit from the kelso chronicle. the spoons(8) are engaver with the roxburghe mark and they are in the original box although it is under pressure

Comment

Hi there,

What a find! I am Hector's great-great granddaughter and would love to have a copy of the documents you have found, and also photos of the spoons and original box too if possible. Are you related to Hector?

Regards,
                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                          X