Military Records Help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Records Help, please

I'm told that Wilfred Mortimer Gough (1886-1914) born and died in Bridgenorth, Shropshire, served in the King's Shropshire Light Infantry.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might get hold of his service records, please?

Thanks
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

have you looked on Ancestry ? they have the first world war pension records

Comment

Yes I did, even though I don't think he served in WWI. He died at home.

STG

Comment

when do you think he served then ?

Comment

Not entirely sure, but I'm supposing he had been a regular soldier sometime from the age of 16ish (possibly) and had either left the service voluntarily or been invalided out (for ill health rather than for injury reasons) in time to die at home in the village of Worfield, Shropshire at the age of 28 in November 1914.

STG

Comment

Get military records of service for the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army and Royal Air Force - who can apply, how long it takes, cost, how to apply.

not sure if this would help

Comment

I was kinda hoping that someone with an FMP sub might see if there was anything there for him.

Here's hoping.

STG

Comment

STG,
                have had a look for him on FMP but with no results at all. Will keep on looking for you though.
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Oh, thanks for trying David.

STG

Comment

STG,
                    Have had a further look through any applicable record on FMP for Wilfred Mortimer Gough with no result. Also a quick scan on Ancestry
                    which as usual throws up hundreds of names, none of which seem applicable. Do you have any reason to believe that your man was in the
                    armed forces ?

David

Comment

I looked on FMP too and the only Gough who served in that Regiment and about the right age is a W T Gough and he died in 1900

Comment

I had 3 soldiers in the same regiment 1840 - 1861 but only found 2 of them in the Chelsea Pensioners on FMP - the other one died in Service. I did find them all on the regiments muster lists at Kew - though only one service record - so was surprised to find both on FMP.

Soldiers probably had to do quite a long time in the Army to end up in the Chelsea Pensioners records.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I see from the 1901 census that Wilfred was an Errand Boy and by 1911 was a Carter, which is also his stated occupation on his death certificate, so am now doubting my informant a bit. Will have to go back and re-question him.

It is entirely possible that my informant is correct and that Wilfred's records are "lost" together with very many others.

Thanks to everyone for trying.

STG

Comment

It's certainly true that a substantial number (ca 60%, from memory) of WW1 records were lost as a result of WW2 bombing.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine,
                              From advice I have had from the great war forum only about 25 percent of records survived. I must be lucky of 8 rels that served in
                              the GW 3 survived - fortunately the most important ones.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X