Townsend/Cottingham/Tewksbury families in England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Townsend/Cottingham/Tewksbury families in England

I am searching for information on these families prior to 1620. Evidently both the Townsends and Cottinghams came from England in the years following the Mayflower.

John Townsend was one of three brothers that came to the US and settled in the Dutch colony of New Ampsterdam on Long Island. His descendants spread throughout the states of New York and Penn.

Thomas Cottingham was evidently one of three brothers who's family's allegiance to King Charles 1 in opposition to Oliver Cromwell gave him incentive of head for healthier climates. He took up residence in Maryland some time following Charles' loss of his head. Probably around 1658 or 59. I think that one of his brothers went to Ireland.

I have not done a lot of research on the Tewksbury family prior to the American Civil War where my GG Grandfather died in a Confederate prison came in Salsbury NC. I have some information on a couple of his brothers but it is limited.
    I have great faith in this site as with the help of a number of members I located the owner of a lost family Bible which I had been trying to do for over a year.
    I need some help if anyone can jump in. I'm looking forward to posting here.

I went to the Surname search page and found a site for Brian S Cottingham but the link was gone. Does anyone have any information on how I can contact this person. Evidently he was a member of the Forum in the past. I sure would like to be able to communicate with him.

Comment

Hi, Grandpa -
      I'd suggest breaking out each ancestor into into his own separate thread, and provide details of the ancestor that you need more information for.

For instance, on Thomas Cottingham, do you know when or where he was born, or died? Who was his wife, where did they marry, who were their children?

Have you looked here for Cottingham?
      www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno =242183&disp=The+Barnes+family+of+New+Haven+[and] &columns=*,0,0

or these people seem to know a lot:

I can't tell if any of these Tewksburys might be yours:
      www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlehitlist&columns =*%2C0%2C0&surname=tewksbury&presurname=tewksbury

too many from the townsend search.

Like the new avatar
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 01-09-11, 04:23.

Comment

Did the Tewksbury family have any connection with the town of Tewkesbury (in Gloucestershire, England), do you know? I'm interested because it's where I was brought up and still have family there. I agree with PhotoFamily about doing separate threads for the different surnames - I think it would be far easier to follow.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
          Did the Tewksbury family have any connection with the town of Tewkesbury (in Gloucestershire, England), do you know? I'm interested because it's where I was brought up and still have family there. I agree with PhotoFamily about doing separate threads for the different surnames - I think it would be far easier to follow.

scuda
          A lot of my ancestors are from Tewkesbury - surname Devereux, lots found living in Double Alley and thereabouts and now my niece lives in Bredon so uses Tewkesbury quite often. I went there last year to meet a distant cousin with whom I had been sharing family tree stuff.
          Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa T View Post
            I went to the Surname search page and found a site for Brian S Cottingham but the link was gone. Does anyone have any information on how I can contact this person. Evidently he was a member of the Forum in the past. I sure would like to be able to communicate with him.
            He is still a member.
            Go to the Cottingham surname page - http://familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/COTTINGHAM
            Click on his username of brianscottingham - which will then open another page where you can send him a private message via the forum.
            He has his options sent so that he receives email notification of any private messages sent to him, so providing he has not changed his email address then he will know you are trying to make contact.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              He is still a member.
              Go to the Cottingham surname page - http://familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/COTTINGHAM
              Click on his username of brianscottingham - which will then open another page where you can send him a private message via the forum.
              He has his options sent so that he receives email notification of any private messages sent to him, so providing he has not changed his email address then he will know you are trying to make contact.
              that just takes me to the 'you are not logged in page' Elaine...

I should've said last night that I sent Grandpa a PM showing him how to contact Brian, I forgot to say on here, sorry.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks to all who responded.
                I will do just that...start a thread for each.

Thanks for your comment on my avitar, this i a new horse for me that I am trying to train to be a "trail" horse rather than a "jumper" and it is a lot of work.

I tried the Brian Cottingham page and got nowhere. I will try again to post him a PM.

I don't know about Tewksbury, I have a cousin in Salt Lake that should know, I'll contact her.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X