Baptism after death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism after death?

I have just found the burial for a sibling of one of my direct ancestors(Edwin Hulley) According to NBI he was buried on 16 Oct 1845 as an Infant. This is the date I have(from a respected Source) for his baptism. Is it possible for him to have been baptised after death and before burial or is one of the pieces of data wrong?

Sandra

He could have been baptised seconds before he died and burial the same day was quite usual especially for an infant.

I would want chapter and verse for the baptism though, just in case your source has mistaken a burial for a baptism!

OC

Comment

Agree with OC.

I have seen scribbled notes with b and then a date - does this "b" stand for baptism or burial???

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

b normally stands for born.
        bapt for baptism
        bur for buried

It was very common for an infant to be born, baptised and buried on the same day.
        Most religions refuse to accept post death baptisms but they do occasionally occur.
        In normal circumstances any Christian may baptise an infant who it is feared will not live long enough to be baptised by a clergyman or in church.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
          X