Google search history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google search history

I have many pages of Google search history and from time to time I thin some of it out by removing things that I will not use again.
    I am wondering if it is safe to clear it all but worried that it may contain its own form of Cookies and that I will need to log in again and all that goes with it.
    I do not use Google Chrome - did not like it.
    Does anyone know if it is safe to clear all this Web History as they call it please.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Web history is just a list of previous sites that is stored as part of the Windows registry.
    It's main use is so that the browser can 'guess' what site you want to access from the text that you start entering, or so that you can look up the addresses of pages that you may want to return to.
    Deleting the history will have no problem, as it is not part of cookies etc.

Trev

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

For sites you think you will use again you can make them favourites or bookmark them arranging them in folders to suit you. I have a folder for Family Tree sites and in it have saved links to GRO, FTF, ancestry etc to make it easier to find and use them when I want.

It is these links that have the cookies attached.

Margaret

Comment

A very useful thing for your Family History links is the MLFHS toolbar which covers all the main sites (and more): http://www.mlfhs.org.uk/toolbar/toolbar.php

Free and updates regularly - I wouldn't be without it!!
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hello Caroline, I love the tool bar I downloaded and used it I clicked on Run when I downloaded when I was closing the Computer down my tool bar disappeared should I have clicked onto save not Run ? thank you for any advice.

Granabella

Comment

Originally posted by granabella View Post
            Hello Caroline, I love the tool bar I downloaded and used it I clicked on Run when I downloaded when I was closing the Computer down my tool bar disappeared should I have clicked onto save not Run ? thank you for any advice.

Granabella
            Well how strange is that just come back on the Computer and the tool bar is there so every thing is ok thanks

Granabella

Comment

.. and if you look under the drop down menu from OTHER heading, under the Forum and Mailing list subheading you will see a quick link to Family Tree Forum!
              Elaine

Comment

Deleting Web History from your Google Account will erase all items from your Web History and stop your Web History from being recorded in the future. Instead, you might want to remove individual items.

Trevor, I asked the question as it would appear to me that if I delete my Google Web History I will not be able to use that facility again. Have I miss read the instructions? I have simply pages of it as it is a laborious job removing a few individual items at a time.

Thank you all for your replies and I do have My Favourites full to overflowing. I am just going to view the MLFHS toolbar.
                Last edited by Margaret N; 03-09-11, 22:14.
                Margaret N
                DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Working...
                X