Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army records

Hello,
    I wonder if anyone can help me with a piece of my family history research. I have traced Hector McKinnon born 16th June 1868 on the Isle of Mull. Hector enlisted on 7th September 1887 at Woolwich his number was 62753, he was discharged on 6th September 1899 in Umballa India. I can be certain that this is my Hector due to the fact that he lived with an uncle in London before enlisting and gives his address when enlisting.
    I was trying to find out what happened to Hectors after his discharge, I found possibly his marriage in 1894, a marriage of his daughter in 1926 & his death in 1943 all in India.
    I have been contacted by an older gent who says that he is Hectors grandson. But his history and mine do not square. His Hector was also from Mull but was named Hector Alexander McKinnon and served in the Royal Horse Artillery enlisting in 1896. I have tried all the usual websites and can find no trace of this soldier, can you help me prove that he existed or not. He seemingly was injured at some point and transferred to the R.A.M.C., also at some point he was involved in the Mesopotamia campaign.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

John McKinnon Gibb

You can check out rootsweb archives to see if he has been recorded in any of the listings or if you are not a member of the list you can subscribe at rootsweb and ask advice.

http://military-genealogy.forcesreun...orse_Artillery check out this site for advice on Royal Horse Artilary records
    Ask the gentleman if he can give further information or his source of the records to check

Edna

Comment

There is a death of Hector MacKinnon on 1 Nov 1943 in West Ridge, Bengal, India, age 76 on Familysearch. Do you have that record?

Sounds like you've checked findmypast for this/these gentlemen?

Sometimes it's easy to leap to conclusions when people with same/similar names are in the same place and time. Review your research. If your records seems solid, it's probably not you with the problem!

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
        You can check out rootsweb archives to see if he has been recorded in any of the listings or if you are not a member of the list you can subscribe at rootsweb and ask advice.

http://military-genealogy.forcesreun...orse_Artillery check out this site for advice on Royal Horse Artilary records
        Ask the gentleman if he can give further information or his source of the records to check

Edna

Thanks, will give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
          There is a death of Hector MacKinnon on 1 Nov 1943 in West Ridge, Bengal, India, age 76 on Familysearch. Do you have that record?

Sounds like you've checked findmypast for this/these gentlemen?

Sometimes it's easy to leap to conclusions when people with same/similar names are in the same place and time. Review your research. If your records seems solid, it's probably not you with the problem!
          Yes I'm sure that's my Hector. Thanks.

Comment

That record is also on the BL Indian Family History database... with a bit more info. http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X