Where do I look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I look?

About 1930 my aunt apparently went to a court in London to try to obtain financial support from her son's father. I know nothing more than this, which court would this have been and how long do they keep their records for and are these records accessible.My cousin would like to know who his father was after all these years-any ideas?
    Terry

Hello Terry and welcome to FTF.

Your aunt would have gone to her local Magistrate's court for maintenance. Unfortunately, these records are normally destroyed twenty years after the last payment and in any case, would not be viewable by anyone other than your aunt.

It is however, always worth a try.....

OC

Comment

Hello Terry,

does the full birth cert not name the father? was the child baptised? these might hold clues to the fathers name.

wasnt there something where people that went to court had it printed in local papers?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes, Julie's right, quite often these maintenance orders were reported in the paper but I would imagine it would only be local papers unless the father was famous!

OC

Comment

am pretty sure that they were reported in our local papers, but can't remember when they stopped, might have been as late as 1975! (in fact I remember my mum looking at them, so whether she actually had to goto court to get maintenance for her children i'm not sure)
          Julie

Comment

The name given as father on the baptism record is the same as my aunt's father and also the profession entered is the same as his. It's my belief that my grandfather persuaded the vicar to enter his name instead of the real father, this is a small village where everyone knows everybody and at a time when the vicar was part of the community.
            I'm not sure where to go now, it doesn't seem likely the records still exist-any more ideas?
            Thanks to all who've passed on their ideas.
            Terry

Comment

Terry,

if there was a maintence order that went through the court, you might be lucky if it was reported in a local paper, you will/should find copies of these in a Local studies library, try the Library and ask them if they have films/fiche of local papers for the date you need. worth a shot!
              Julie

Comment

and a thought, would a man of god lie to god about the parentage of a child???
                Julie

Comment

Julie

Just been discussing on another thread whether people would lie to a man of God. I don't think they DID lie, I think the Vicar took the view that the grandfather had expressed his willingness to take on the role of father to the illegitimate child and as far as he was concerned, that was what mattered, not the ACTUAL name of the blackguard weho had taken the daughter down, lol.

(If the grandfather had REALLY been the father of the child, there would have been some disgusted comment in the register. I doubt if such a situation would be recorded, because being the child of incest would surely be worse than being llegitimate.)

OC

Comment

ahh OC so if someone 'claimed' the child that would be better than no-one claiming responsibility at all?
                    Julie

Comment

Unless someone in the family knows something, I don't think there's anywhere much to go with this - no unusual middle name for instance?

Do try the local papers, though if the case was heard in London, I'm not sure the papers would have been local enough in the area to report every case.

OC

Comment

Yes, I take the same view that my grandfather put himself forward as 'father', he was a 'nice old bloke' and I remember all my aunts and uncles seemed to be very fond of him. However it is a pity the real father's name isn't on the baptism record, I haven't sent off for a birth cert as I wouldn't think the father's name would be recorded on this either.
                        Good idea about local papers-I'll follow that up.

Comment

Working...
                        X