New "ANCESTRY" Scam.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "ANCESTRY" Scam.......

Just recieved the e-mail below, using details of a Tree I have, but no longer use on Ancestry.
    It tends to be the perfect use of the Queen's english that gives it away. Just to let users be aware...
    Matt.

This message has been sent through the Ancestry connection service. Simply reply to this email to respond to cxxxxxxxxxx11 through the connection service.
    Note: The connection service uses your Ancestry username to identify you and does not display your name or email address. If you would like to remain anonymous, be sure to remove any personal information that your email program may include in your reply.

in the party we communicate many famous online shopping website.
    many friends recommend me this website, they said:the website is a foreign trading company ,
    their price is much lower than others and they are guarantee the quality is very good.
    Website address is www.ijyops.com
    ,you won't regret if you log on this website.
    My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Have you notified it to ancestry?
    They should be screening for this sort of thing and should bar a member from contacting you who is trading or purporting to be doing so.
    Margaret

Comment

It looks as if a "spammer" has registered as a member and then sent out messages via the Ancestry connection service. As Margaret says, make sure you report it - I am sure Ancestry would give an immediate ban!

You might be surprised to know that our system has rejected 50+ new registrations since midnight last night - all of whom are potential spammers!
      Unfortunately there are times when the odd one slips through but they are normally zapped pretty quickly!
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks for letting us know Matt.

As Margaret says perhaps best to let ancestry know.

Always dubious of e-mails with such GOOD english!!
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Just read your post Elaine.

Quite worrying really that there are so many spammers around. I didn't realise they would try to get into a site like.

Glad you have the means to stop them
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Yes, it is worrying Lin. We are fortunate that Tim has set up an automated system which catches most of them - saves us a lot of work!
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              It looks as if a "spammer" has registered as a member and then sent out messages via the Ancestry connection service. As Margaret says, make sure you report it - I am sure Ancestry would give an immediate ban!

You might be surprised to know that our system has rejected 50+ new registrations since midnight last night - all of whom are potential spammers!
              Unfortunately there are times when the odd one slips through but they are normally zapped pretty quickly!

It's funny, those google searches I did this morning, all the results that come back which are "non forum" posts like I used to get are the people finder and genealogy record sites, i lost track of the number of times my own Ancestry tree came up in results and images/notes from my trees were in there too. Some of my "all rights reserved" images on flickr came up in results but the details posted with the image are detailed and include dates, spouse etc, not something I added to the images.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                Just read your post Elaine.

Quite worrying really that there are so many spammers around. I didn't realise they would try to get into a site like.

Glad you have the means to stop them
                Probably explains why so many guests are viewing the boards.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Yes ,I will inform Ancestry,....But what is the way to contact them by e-mail & how. I've only ever contacted them by phone.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                    Probably explains why so many guests are viewing the boards.
                    The "guest" list is mainly spiders ... plus a few lurkers! ;)
                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, Details passed to Ancestry, they will attempt to respond within 24 hrs...
                      Matt.

Comment

My contacts with ancestry have been, well, less than pleasing. and not speedy.

And, I don't know about flickr, but I think ancestry tells you you're on your own trying to protect files that you upload:
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 31-08-11, 05:52. Reason: correction

Comment

Working...
                        X