Where did he die - Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did he die - Canada?

Can anyone tell me where it says he died please? He was from Halifax Nova Scotia. Thank you

Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Looks like "lo" at the end but not easy to spot even when enlarged.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

The place perhaps reads Fairview?

There's a town in Alberta, Canada. Would this fit?
      Last edited by Carol Bird; 30-08-11, 14:54.

Comment

Thank you for ideas, all I know was he came from Halifax.
        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Hi: I tend to agree that it says Fairview. There is a Fairview subdivision on the south west portion of Halifax and according to the historical map of the railway system in Nova Scotia it looks like the line could have run through that area on it's way South. There is a site called Nova Scotia's Railway Heritage (I didn't put the url in just in case that isn't legal here) but there is a page tied to that which has a list of railway employees. As the son and grandson of railway men I know how they move around and that they sometimes have "station names" that nobody else has any clue about. This may get you on the way but may not. As the two main railways in Canada at that time were the Canadian Pacific and the Canadian National this gets more complicated. The CPR tended to cover more of the Southern part of Canada whereas the CN took a more Northerly route. In Nova Scotia??? who knows, it might have been either one. The card you put up to view looks like a union card. In that it was destroyed that makes it tough. Anyway, this may get you a leg up on his possible death location. Perhaps Halifax obituaries? Newspaper articles?
          That's what makes this Genealogy thing so much fun and frustration!
          Hope this helps. Good Hunting!

Comment

There is a doc on Ancestry with a Edward Landy with sister Miss Rose Landy.
            It is an army attestation paper - I will have a look at the original and see if it mentions his address etc or has any other useful info.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Here are the details -
              Edward Landy
              Born 1 Dec 1894
              Address - 138 Langard Road, Halifax
              Next of kin - Miss Rose Landy, West Chezzatcook (?)
              -also details of height, weight, colouring, marks etc
              Perhaps you have this already, perhaps not your man - but just in case.
              Sorry - I know it doesn't help to establish his death place.
              Good luck
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thank you - FAIRVIEW looks a distinct possibility.

Grandpa T - thank you for the info, very interesting and more routes to explore!
                Herky - thank you for the info - I didn't have it.
                I have been taking advantage of the free immigration records on ancestry and all I knew was that he died as a result of an accident, so really pleased with the info found.
                Last edited by jean; 30-08-11, 20:12.
                Jean

Comment

Jean:
                  Upon further research I see that the Canadian Pacific did not go into Nova Scotia so it must be CNR. It went to Halifax but there was also a Dominion Atlantic Railway so that may be it. Just look up Nova Scotia Railways and you might get a hit on something useful.
                  Again..Good Hunting.

Comment

Working...
                  X