Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Border Crossing from Canada to US, could anyone do a look up please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border Crossing from Canada to US, could anyone do a look up please?

So sorry to ask again after all the help I have had in the last day or so, but my Hepzibah L(ouisa) Howard, I believe left Canada, arriving in the US - Niagara, New York (on border crossing records) - I think her husband Walter (Alfred) Howard travelled with her and there may be children. I'm not sure if this was a visit or emigration! I would really appreciate this. For anyone reading this who helped yesterday, even on the marriage certificate it said Walter Kelly was known as Walter Howard, and I'm fairly convinced this was the named they travelled under to the US.
    Thank you so much in anticipation, Rachel

She appears to be travelling alone on 4th October 1923 and lists her address in Canada as her father's (John Manning)at 16 Tayton(?) Street, St Catherines, Canada. Her destination is Buffalo and she is aged 28. The original is very difficult to read, but the transcription states that her contact in U.S. is a relative, Walter A. It doesn't list his surname though.
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 28-08-11, 17:07.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

When was your Hepzibah born? There are other listings for a Hepzibah Howard (born abt 1882) in New York passenger lists arriving in New York from Southampton in 1949. She appears to live in Hollywood, California and is travelling alone. Also one born about 1872 in England travelling from Liverpool to Quebec on 27 May 1932, returning to Liverpool on 29 Oct 1932. This one appears to have a husband Robert and a daughter/grandaughter? Alma, so possibly not yours.
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thank you so much Sue, I am sure that the records of the border crossing on 4 Oct 1923 are correct. Her father was John Manning and I wonder whether her husband Walter Alfred Kelly/Howard, was the contact, he probably went on ahead, hence she was living at her father's. My Hepzibah was born in England in June 1895 in Battersea. I think the others are probably not correct. I am so grateful

Comment

1930 US census for Hepzibah Howard
          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
          Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine, yes this must be her, Sue kindly found the border crossing record in 1923, I am really grateful, and to find her children too.

Comment

Not forgetting that Ancestry has free immigration records at the moment, for another few days.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine, I've been busy on the free records!!
                Rachel

Comment

Working...
                X