Obituaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obituaries

I've been told that obituaries were not in the newspapers for ordinary folk England in the 1800s - is that basically true? Are they written at all in the 1900? Beginning when?

I'm interested in the obituary for Charles James Coverly, died 12 Jun 1902 Woodford, Essex. Well, and several others, too, but his is a good start.

I think it depends on who and where they died, I have several inquests from local papers which often give more information than general obits. Though I suppose that if your relative was 'well to do' then they possibly would have an obit in the paper.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

They sometimes appear in local papers, but not so much in national papers.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sometimes local papers in late 19C, early 20C had reports of funerals of well respected local people. They are good to find because they often list all the main mourners .... ie family .... of the deceased.

An obituary would be written specially for the paper but only for quite well known people in the local area.

You can search some 19C papers (but not all) online. Many libraries have access to the site. Unfortunately 1902 might be too late for that.

Anne

Comment

There were obits for both my grandmother and for my step-grandfather in the local paper for Leamington in the 1930s. But my step-grandfather was a (medical) doctor, who came from a Cheshire family who'd lived in a "Hall" rather than just a house!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I am fortunate that many of my relatives lived in a very small town which had a right gossip rag of a local paper and there wasusually editorial comment about who had died that week. There was very often a separate announcement on the bmd page, if not a formal wordy obituary.

The more local the paper, the more likely there is to be some kind of acknowledgment of a death.

OC

Comment

So, any suggestions for finding an obit for:
              John Coverly Mitchell - probably died 1st qtr, 1908, MEOT, Middlesex

and the one previously listed:
              Charles James Coverly, died 12 Jun 1902 Woodford, Essex

Thanks
              Sarah

Comment

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a..._2-9&cid=-1#-1 a google search for the name of Charles James Cloverly brought up this for contents insurance
                [no title] MS 11936/479/946063 9 September 1818

Contents: Insured: Charles James Coverly 4 Providence Row Finsbury gent
                Other property or occupiers: corner of Horsely St Walworth (Grove baker)

Did not find an obituary for him

Edna

Comment

That's an uncle or cousin x-removed.

How can I get a copy of that record?

Thanks, Edna

Comment

There seem to be numerous insurance documents for that CJC in the National Archives online catalogue:

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

I think you'll probably need to click on the link to the Guildhall library if you want a copy. No idea how much information they contain.

What might be more interesting is the will of the CJC from Providence Row; it's online, and you can download it for £3.50.

His death notice is here, but there's no actual obituary:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-08-11, 21:37.

Comment

Hmmm, thought I'd pulled all wills for Coverlys from the PCC! I'll take another look when I'm at the library. Not sure how this CJC fits in the family, perhaps the will can clear this up.

Thanks, Mary.

Comment

Working...
                      X