Wicker Hall, Therfield, Hertfordshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicker Hall, Therfield, Hertfordshire

Does anyone know anything about Wicker Hall? Was it an old house, manor?? It would seem now, to be a housing area, I think near a Golf Course! I'm finding it impossible to find who lived there, the history etc! Am particularly interested in it from 1880 onwards!
    Would be so grateful for information, then perhaps I can find an old archive!

maybe email the archives in hertford and see if they have anything? also, put the name in the national archives search.....sometimes manor houses can get picked up there. another thought, usually their is a local site that will mention old houses and manors.

Comment

Thank you, I seem to be drawing a blank everywhere, which made me wonder if it was an area rather than a house, but the name suggested there must have been a building or estate at one time - certainly in the 1881 census, the family I am working on lived there and worked as gardeners as opposed to Ag Labs!

Comment

Try the local family history society.

I was looking for a place in Yorkshire that didn't seem to exist, and the local FHS were able to suggest a likely candidate - they had a list of places that didn't appear on maps.

Comment

If you find the names of places either side of Wicker Hall on the 1881 it should be fairly easy to identify where it is/was. It is not listed as a manor house.

OC

Comment

Land near Eagle Tavern (21a), Old Palace in Kneesworth Street and cottages in Royston, land near Wicker Hall (18a) in Therfield, 50a in Melbourn D/ERy/B130 1907

These documents are held at Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

5 docs

Contents:
            Plan attached
            Just found this via TNA - though it's obviously HALS.

HALS also has a newspaper item in their catalogue:
            Title: Fire at Wicker Hall cottages and beerhouse known as ""The Devil's Head"" threatened by fire : 1900. From the Crow files
            Source: Herts & Cambs Reporter & Royston Crow page 5
            Publication date: 17.10.1975
            Places: Royston

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 27-08-11, 14:36.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Lindsay and OC. I have searched up and down the census, I can only find Wicker Hall Cottages, I will do as you say! Christine that is brilliant information especially as the man I am following John Manning was a Malster!! Sadly he had died by the 1891.

Comment

OK, had a dig around and in 1871, Wicker Hall is between the Fox and Duck and the Devil's Head, both public houses. Wicker Hall appears to be the name of a run of cottages or maybe a tenement block. All the inhabitants are ag lbs and such like. (Where did you get gardener from?).

Fox and Duck
                National School
                Bird's Cottages
                Wicker Hall
                Devil's Head.

OC

Comment

Hello OC thank you so much - in 1881 the family I am working on lived at Wicker Hall, John was a Malster, so being between pubs makes perfect sense, his son was a gardener and my half sister's great grandmother was living with them and was a jobbing gardener (sadly her husband had died, she had fallen on hard times, put 4 children into Royston Work House, including my sister's grandmother aged just 1!) - they were clearly trying to help her out! Later the son who was a gardener emigrated to Ontario, Cananda - quite a story!
                  hank you again, Rachel

Comment

I tried to find the places using google Street view but for some reason my pc wouldn't let me and I lost patience! The Fox and Duck is still there and is situated in the middle of the village.

I take it you have seen the wonderful site for Therfield?

OC

Comment

I did find one really good one, which do you mean
                      Thanks again

Comment

Wicker Hall

Originally posted by ukfamilyhistory View Post
                        Thank you Lindsay and OC. I have searched up and down the census, I can only find Wicker Hall Cottages, I will do as you say! Christine that is brilliant information especially as the man I am following John Manning was a Malster!! Sadly he had died by the 1891.
                        Hi there,

I refer to your old posts about Wicker Hall, Royston. I know exactly where it is and a little of its history. For a start, your relation being a Maltster would make perfect sense as Phillips Brewery was but a stone's throw away!

I would be delighted if you would contact me.

Comment

Hello Happywanderer and welcome to the forum

UKfamily history hasn't been on the forum for a while so it might be worth you dropping her a PM (private message) in case she has email notifications set up. To do that just click in her name and then select "send private mesage"
                          Barbara

Comment

I have just read your request and have registered so that we could reply with some information for you. Wicker Hall was a row of tithe cottages for agricultural labourers my family owned no 2/3 which is now all that exists from 1951 until my mothers death in 2003.

The original function was homes for farm labourers, I believe one farm was at Therfield and the other by the railway station in Royston. Wicker Hall was originally on the main road going to Therfield from Royston this main road is now a dirt track. the cottages were built of clunch and the quarry was at the bottom of the hill which is a pice of open ground at the edge of the Heath. If of interest we could give you the names of some of the occupants of the cottages when we first lived there. The land where the cottages once were, was purchased by a Don Humphries and has gone back to nature. we have heard that they are going to put a cemetery on it in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Working...
                            X