great grandad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great grandad

looking for any details for my great grandad,his name was george taylor (deceased) i cannot find any details of his wife apart from her first name Elizabeth (common in my ancesters ) my grandad was Edward Taylor ( deceased ) and my gran Elizabeth (Stretton )Taylor born in Salford any help would be appreciated
    ron

Do you have years and places of birth for any of the ancestors you have mentioned?
    Have you found any on the census, if so can you give the reference/details.
    Do you have the marriage certificate of your grandparents?
    Elaine

Comment

Edward taylor & Elizabeth nee Stretton appear to have married in March Qtr 1924 in salford

Two potential Elizabeth Strettons born in Salford, One March Qtr 1904 (and the other prob too late, in 1915)

Last edited by Jessbowbag; 26-08-11, 21:58.
      Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
        Edward taylor & Elizabeth nee Stretton appear to have married in March Qtr 1924 in salford

Two potential Elizabeth Strettons born in Salford, One March Qtr 1904 (and the other prob too late, in 1915)

At St Paul, Pendleton, according to LancsBMD.

LancsOPC offers a 6 Jan 1904 baptism at Christ Church Salford, for an Elizabeth STRETTON d/o Charles STRETTON & Elizabeth, b 25 Dec 1903.

There's another ES, but at Pemberton 1906.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 26-08-11, 23:18.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hiya Elaine,on the 1911 there is a Charles Stretton married to Elizabeth Stretton cattle drover living at 44 Peel Street ,Salford (1868 ) Ron

Comment

Ron, how do you know this is the correct family?

If you haven't already got the marriage certificate for your grandparents Edward Taylor & Elizabeth Stretton then I would recommend you get it.
            The marriage certificate should give you the ages of Edward and Elizabeth, although it might just say of full age - but it will give you their father's names and occupations which will make it easier to confirm that the family you have found in the 1911 census is the right one.

Although you think you may have found Elizabeth, I think you are going to have problems trying to find Edward unless you get the certificate.
            Elaine

Comment

Hiya Elaine,i have the married certificate,there are two addresses which were where the members of the familys lived through the years,i know my,gret gran lived at 47 peel street on my grandads side and 44 peel street was where my great gran lived on my grans side,the certificate as my grandads dad as deceased and worked as a dyer,also it as my grans dad as deceased and worked as cattle drover,the ages for my gran,grandad when married,Edward was 21,and Elizabeth was 20 ron

Comment

Hiya Christine,that is my Grandmother,born 25/12,ron

Comment

Originally posted by redron View Post
                  Hiya Elaine,i have the married certificate,there are two addresses which were where the members of the familys lived through the years,i know my,gret gran lived at 47 peel street on my grandads side and 44 peel street was where my great gran lived on my grans side,the certificate as my grandads dad as deceased and worked as a dyer,also it as my grans dad as deceased and worked as cattle drover,the ages for my gran,grandad when married,Edward was 21,and Elizabeth was 20 ron
                  I am glad you have the certificate Ron. It is very easy to go galloping off down the wrong line otherwise!
                  I'll have a look through the census on Ancestry to see if I can see anything for you.
                  Elaine

Comment

Ron, do you know if either George or Edward had any middle names?

Could you also tell us who the witnesses are on the marriage certificate - might be relevant.
                    Elaine

Comment

George Taylor lived at 47 peel street salford,there is no age for him on my grans wedding cert,but edward his son was born in 1903 ront

Comment

There doesn't seem to be any Taylors living at 47 Peel Street on the census.

Do you know where Edward or George were born?
                        Who are the witnesses on Edward's marriage certificate.
                        You said that George was deceased when Edward married - do you have any idea when he died?
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                          There doesn't seem to be any Taylors living at 47 Peel Street on the census.

Do you know where Edward or George were born?
                          Who are the witnesses on Edward's marriage certificate.
                          You said that George was deceased when Edward married - do you have any idea when he died?
                          Hiya Elaine,on my grandads wedding cert the witnesses were James Armitt and Annie Roberts,my grandad was 21 and born in salford i am looking for some more details on addresses,but i thought he was born at the address 47 peel street ron

Comment

There are no Taylor families in Peel Street in 1911.
                            Margaret

Comment

Could this be his birth
                              Edward Taylor
                              Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1903
                              Registration district: Salford
                              Inferred County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
                              Volume: 8d
                              Page: 17

Comment

This is the only Edward Taylor that comes up in 1911 born Salford 1903 +/-2 years
                                TAYLOR, Harry Head Married M 37 1874 Agent Manchester Hulme
                                TAYLOR, Edith A Wife Married 14 years F 36 1875 Staffordshire Burton
                                TAYLOR, Sam Son M 11 1900 School Lancashire Salford
                                TAYLOR, Harry Son M 9 1902 School Lancashire Salford
                                TAYLOR, Edward Son M 7 1904 School Lancashire Salford
                                TAYLOR, Cyril Son M 1 1910 Lancashire Salford
                                Reference: RG14PN24086 RG78PN1384 RD465 SD4 ED43 SN286

Address:
                                33 Lune St Weaste Pendleton

PS Elaine has pointed out that there is another one

HUGHES, James Head Married M 25 1886 Coal Miner Hewer Pendleton Manchester Lancs
                                HUGHES, Elizabeth Wife Married F 23 1888 Pendleton Manchester
                                HUGHES, Robert James Son M 1 1910 Pendleton Manchester
                                TAYLOR, Edward Nephew M 8 1903 School Pendleton Manchester
                                DOLAN, Arthur Lodger Married M 23 1888 Coal Miner Hewer Pendleton Manchester
                                DOLAN, Ellen Lodger Married 3 years F 22 1889 Swinton
                                DOLAN, Hannah F 2 1909 Pendleton Manchester
                                Reference: RG14PN24037 RG78PN1383 RD465 SD3 ED24 SN105

Address:
                                34 Rossall Street Pendleton Manchester
                                Last edited by margaretmarch; 29-08-11, 10:53.

Comment

I think you need to get Edward's birth certificate to see who the parents are.
                                  Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                    I think you need to get Edward's birth certificate to see who the parents are.
                                    Margaret
                                    Edward's marriage was registered in the 1st quarter of 1924. Edward's age was recorded as 21.
                                    Depending on the actual date of the marriage it means that Edward could have been born anytime between April 1902 and the first couple of months of 1903, in which case his birth registration could be any one of these:

Births Jun 1902
                                    TAYLOR Edward
                                    Salford volume 8d, page 172

Births Sep 1902
                                    Taylor Edward
                                    Salford volume 8d, page 70

Births Dec 1902
                                    Taylor Edward
                                    Salford volume 8d, page 181

Births Jun 1903
                                    TAYLOR Edward
                                    Salford volume 8d, page 17

... providing of course he was born/registered within the Salford registration district!
                                    Elaine

Comment

Here's the marriage for James Hughes shown above

James Hughes = Elizabeth Taylor
                                      Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1907
                                      Registration district: Salford
                                      Inferred County: Lancashire Volume Number: 8d Page Number: 25

Comment

Is there anything else useful on LancsBMD? There are increasing numbers of birth index entries including mmn, now.

Christine
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                        X