Gosling Family Bible circa 1845

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gosling Family Bible circa 1845

I have recently come across a Family Bible that belonged to John and Elizabeth Gosling. They were married in London in 1845. It lists their childrens' names and death dates. If anyone has a tie to this family please contact me, I refuse to destroy the information but my wife and I are "downsizing" and I need the space that this huge book takes up.
    Hope to hear from somebody.

If you don't find a proper home for it, you could consider taking digital photos of the info, and then putting the bible into a sale.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa T View Post
      I have recently come across a Family Bible that belonged to John and Elizabeth Gosling. They were married in London in 1845. It lists their childrens' names and death dates. If anyone has a tie to this family please contact me, I refuse to destroy the information but my wife and I are "downsizing" and I need the space that this huge book takes up.
      Hope to hear from somebody.
      Welcome to FTF.

Perhaps if you put up what information there is we could see if we could find someone around today who would be interested - not everyone uses this site. There may be a tree on ancestry or somewhere like that which includes the names you have. Did you look for anyone?
      Margaret

Comment

Looking on the 1851 census I can see several John and Elizabeth Gosling households. If you can give the children's names I would look to see which one it is.
        Margaret

Comment

Is this the marriage?
          Name: John Gosling Jr
          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
          Spouse Name: Elizabeth Thomas
          Record Type: Marriage
          Marriage Date: 13 May 1845
          Parish: St Mary at Lambeth
          County: Surrey
          Borough: Lambeth
          Father Name: John Gosling
          Spouse Father Name: Richard Thomas

Groom is a draper of Dover, Kent.His father is shown as a draper too.
          Richard is a glazier on the marriage image on Ancestry.

Gwyn

Comment

I have been having a wee look too, but without much success.
            Grandpa T, do you have any other bits of info that could help locate the family? - always up for a challenge that may reunite a bit of its family history.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Hello any sign of an Alice Goslin/g and any link to Winchester??
              So coincidental that the name came up in my researches today!
              Good luck!

Comment

There are lots of Gosling researchers on rootschat I found one with a John Gosling London so sent him a pm to read this thread

hope thats ok

Edna

Comment

Hi All:
                  Thanks for the interest shown. I did respond to margaretmarch with the information. (At least I thought I did, this is very new to me!)
                  Anyway, here goes again:
                  Info as follows:
                  Married in the Parish Church of St. Mary's, Lambeth, London --- John and Elizabeth Gosling on the 13th day of May 1845.
                  Children of this marriage: Mary born May 9th, 1846 - Emma born May 8, 1847--- Caroline born April 15, 1849 died May 20, 1861 age 11 years----Elizabeth born July 16, 1851 died December 18, 1852 age 1 year, 26 months (that's what is written in the book)---Anne born June 19, 1852 died September 18, 1852 age 3 months---John born August 19, 1853---Ellen born February 5, 1855 and William born March 2, 1856.
                  Father John: died April 29, 1863 age 42 years
                  Mother Elizabeth: died April 18, 1895 age 69 years.

Hopefully that will help everyone. Elizabeth received this Bible from John April 1852.
                  Gwyn in Kent: this could be the right marriage that you mentioned but I doubt his birth date at 1845 and marriage the same. Everything else fits.

Comment

This seems to be the family in 1861.

GOSLING, John Head Married M 40 1821 Farmer Of 32 Acres Employing 1 Men 1 Boy Newick Sussex
                    GOSLING, Elizabeth Wife Married F 35 1826 Chalford Gloucestershire
                    GOSLING, Mary Charlotte Daughter Unmarried F 14 1847 Dover Kent
                    GOSLING, Emma Daughter F 13 1848 Dover Kent
                    GOSLING, Caroline Daughter F 10 1851 Folkestone Kent
                    GOSLING, John Son M 8 1853 Ripley Sussex
                    GOSLING, Ellen Daughter F 6 1855 Ripley Sussex
                    GOSLING, William Rd Son M 5 1856 Ripley Sussex

Living at Newick Common, Sussex

Comment

This is interesting!

I believe I have found trees on mundai.com for the son William Richard. He appears to have emigated to Canada, married there and had five children. There are photos as well.

I don't have Ancestry at the moment but presumably the owners of these trees should be able to be contacted on that site.

Comment

Seems you have discovered the correct family based on ages, etc. I have no other information other than a 1940 Obituaries section of a Victoria, BC newspaper. I suspect that whoever had the Bible at that time kept the paper because someone in the family had passed away. None of the names match but of course by 1940 names could have changed by marriages. Could have been a grandchild of John and Elizabeth....who knows.
                        I suspect that this Bible was picked up at an estate sale by my "Collector" ex daughter in law, for who knows what reason. I'd love to get it into the correct family hands! I have our Townsend family Bible and it has been of great assistance in my genealogical searches.

Thanks to everyone who is in the blog and working on this. I had just about given up.

Now all I have to do is find my maternal grandmother who was one of thousands of British Home Children. She ended up in Saskatchewan at the ripe old age of 5 years and was indicated as a "domestic" on the farm where she lived. I think this is a "Brick Wall".

Comment

Can anyone who has a profile picture up tell me how to edit my profile to do that please? I have tried but obviously not correctly. Forgive the stupidity but I'm and "Old Guy" and I have the odd " Senior's Moment" Thanks.

Comment

Obviously, I don't have an avatar (profile picture), but I think you would take these steps:
                            Top line, on the right hand side, you probably have Welcome, Grandpa T. continuing on that line, you'll see Settings. Click on it.

Along the left side of the screen, you'll see: My Settings and underneath that, Edit Avatar. Click on it.

Under Custom Avatar click Custom Avatar button, then select browse from option 2. Find your photo.

Not sure that it will work (haven't done it), but pretty sure.

Awesome find on the bible. Wish it were mine!

Comment

There is an Ancestry World Tree for Richard William Gosling which gives his birth as 1861, Gorleston, Suffolk, BUT there is a post-em, correcting this to the details we have here. The poste-em was entered by Louise Everest in July last year. She says she has his marriage and birth certificates, so is probably fairly closely related - her email address is given on the post-em page.

scuda
                              Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa T View Post
                                Hi All:
                                Thanks for the interest shown. I did respond to margaretmarch with the information. (At least I thought I did, this is very new to me!)
                                Anyway, here goes again:
                                Info as follows:
                                Married in the Parish Church of St. Mary's, Lambeth, London --- John and Elizabeth Gosling on the 13th day of May 1845.
                                Children of this marriage: Mary born May 9th, 1846 - Emma born May 8, 1847--- Caroline born April 15, 1849 died May 20, 1861 age 11 years----Elizabeth born July 16, 1851 died December 18, 1852 age 1 year, 26 months (that's what is written in the book)---Anne born June 19, 1852 died September 18, 1852 age 3 months---John born August 19, 1853---Ellen born February 5, 1855 and William born March 2, 1856.
                                Father John: died April 29, 1863 age 42 years
                                Mother Elizabeth: died April 18, 1895 age 69 years.

Hopefully that will help everyone. Elizabeth received this Bible from John April 1852.
                                Gwyn in Kent: this could be the right marriage that you mentioned but I doubt his birth date at 1845 and marriage the same. Everything else fits.
                                Yes, you did reply by PM, but I have been away for the weekend and didn't manage to post the information on here for all to see - sorry!
                                Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                                  There is an Ancestry World Tree for Richard William Gosling which gives his birth as 1861, Gorleston, Suffolk, BUT there is a post-em, correcting this to the details we have here. The poste-em was entered by Louise Everest in July last year. She says she has his marriage and birth certificates, so is probably fairly closely related - her email address is given on the post-em page.

scuda
                                  Scuda - is it worth sending her a link to this thread so she can see what we have so far?
                                  Margaret

Comment

Scuda - is it worth sending her a link to this thread so she can see what we have so far?
                                    Yes, Margaret, I'll send her the link.

scuda
                                    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

This has a whole lot of Gosling death info and a good site to check out your family names too

Edna

Comment

Louise has emailed me to say she has now registered here and is waiting for her confirmation email in order to post. Definitely the right family.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                                        X