Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How common was it to have an extra name on Baptism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How common was it to have an extra name on Baptism?

I seem to have a lot of rellies who have a middle name on their Baptism but not on the Birth reg ? why do you think people do that ? and is it very common

i should think it was common. i know a lot of mine drop middle names all the time, mostly when they marry.....not easy finding mary gill getting married haha!

Comment

I think its quite common too. I guess that the baptism may come after the birth registration (certainly at a different time anyway) Maybe one parent wanted two names and the other (who registered the birth) wasn't fussed!!

Anne

Comment

Sometimes the name changes between registration and baptism. That's true for my great uncle - but his parents did go back to record the change, which is shown in the final column of the certificate

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks for replies I wonder if I was baptised ??? as I always thought I had a middle name but my Birth Cert says not ?

Comment

I know I havent been baptised.. my brother and sister were, but not me or my little bro.. not that it bothers me, cos it dont! maybe have a look in the pr's Val to see if yours is there, I know some Pr's at libraries etc go upto 1940's and above
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

you are kind up to 1940s mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

lol!! er, well I didnt mean that you were born BEFORE 1940.. just using that as an example..lol. (takes foot firmly out of mouth!)
                Julie

Comment

I've found quite a few cases of the opposite.....where male rellies apparently suddenly start using their mother's maiden name as a middle name, when it's not mentioned on anything connected with their baptism/childhood. I know it was a common phenomenon to name children in this way, but these don't seem to have been baptised with those names...or maybe they just didn't bother entering the full name

Comment

I thought it was quite usual to have a baptismal name given in the Roman Catholic church, as I understand it, it is usually a Saint's name. I haven't come across it in the C of E or non conformists, but that's not to say it doesn't happen.
                    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Most of mine were C of E Sue and a lot had middle names on ther baps but not on the registraton
                      Grey I have some like that too.
                      Julie dont worry I forgive you ,suppose :pyou could have said up to the 1930s ?

Comment

I was born in 1951 and my baptism is on line! I nearly died of shock when I found it a few years ago!
                        All my names and my parents names and occupations and even our full address were given. The parish in question is a tiny one in Devon.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:
                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Val... er yea, I couldve said 1920 :p...

Elizabeth, that must have been SO spooky! but having said that, seeing my mums death and my birth in the indexes kinda jittered me!
                          Julie

Comment

I think it was common for people to be named after one of their godparents. But practically all the people I've found birth registrations and baptisms for have the same names on each.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hmmm. There was a school of thought (but I would have said it was Victorian) which felt that the names given at baptism were the "real" names and the name given at registration was just something to shut the civil authorities up, lol. Also that it was very unlucky to use a child's name before baptism, so the added name at baptism was the real one.

Many of mine invented middle names as they became upwardly mobile.

OC

Comment

thanks Little Nell and OC ,so if I have a Mary Knight Birth Reg but a Mary Charlotte Knight Bap would you say I'm more likely to find any records under Charlotte then???

Comment

...and many of mine thought it good fun to change the names around at each census! (lol). I have a 4xGGrandfather who was baptised Julius. For some reason the local vicar decided to call him Richard when his children were baptised (maybe he thought that Julius was too pretentious for a road-mender). Another 3xGGrandfather was called Matthias Body - but his death certificate called him John.(incidentally his name was transcribed as Martha Boang on FMP!!!!). Oh well, it keeps one on one's toes when searching!
                                  Before 1837 baptism was really the only way of recording a name at all.

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                                    I've found quite a few cases of the opposite.....where male rellies apparently suddenly start using their mother's maiden name as a middle name, when it's not mentioned on anything connected with their baptism/childhood. I know it was a common phenomenon to name children in this way, but these don't seem to have been baptised with those names...or maybe they just didn't bother entering the full name
                                    I found that with my ggrandfather. I am fairly sure he "adopted" his mother's maiden name to distinguish himself from his cousin who was the born in the next parish and had a very similar date of birth. His son and his brothers son also "shared" a name and similar date of birth. We separated them as I knew from family bible that "my" John had been killed during WW1, whereas the granddaughter of the other one knew he lived to a ripe old age.
                                    Barbara

Comment

I've come across people using confirmation names (RC) which is chosen by the person themselves but not extra baptismal as far as I'm aware. Also a sudden appearance later in life of a middle name being the maiden name of the mother or grandparent.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

My grandmother acquired an extra first name, moving her first name to middle, sometime after her marriage (can't remember quite when in the sequence of events). Fortunately I knew about it, or I'd have a had a lot of trouble finding the death record!

Christine
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                        X