HELP PLEASE ! Pennsylvania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP PLEASE ! Pennsylvania

Does anyone have a subscription to Archives.com who would be willing to do a check for me please ?

goodyg.

You may well find that the data/sources that are found/used in Archives.com originate from other sites.
    If it is not something sensitive you are looking for then it may be worth your while giving the information here to see if someone can locate it on another site.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. When I enter THOMAS HOLT died Pennsylvania 1866 it shows 1 result. I am happy to pay a three month subscription for a copy if I am sure this is my Thomas.
      Can't find anything on Ancestry, and his death in America is a bit of a mystery, he is my gr. gr. Grandfather.

What I need to know is did the death in 1866 of Thomas Holt occur in GIRARDVILLE, PENNSYLVANIA ?

goodyg.
      Last edited by goodygumdrops; 26-08-11, 10:16. Reason: incorrect spelling

Comment

Can't see anything on the usual sites (am sure you have looked any way!)
        Have you checked out the links on our Pennsylvania page in the reference library?
        Elaine

Comment

Familysearch does NOT have the death indexed on it, but

there is a Thos S L Holt in Schuylkill, PA, age 29, born England in the 1860 census

Comment

Elaine I did'nt realise that all those records were available on this site. I have taken a look but cannot find any reference to my Thomas.
            Photofamily story is my Thomas took his family out to America in 1850 returned to England about 1852. He shows up in England on the 1861 Census. Sometime in the mid 1860's he returned alone to America, and then according to letters we have, a burial plot was bought by an Ann Holt at Odd Fellows Cemetery Tamaqua in 1866. (I have copy of purchase) According to another letter, (when his relatives in england were trying to trace his subsequent death) the body of an englishman believed to be that of Thomas Holt was brought from Girardville to the Cemetery by 3 englishmen but because they had no doctors note would not allow him to be buried. (This was because the doctors bill had not been paid) So after corresponding with the Cemetery I am informed that the grave plot is supposedly empty.
            Would deaths have to be officially registered at that time ?
            I just wondered if the records on Archives.com were from official sources, it look like I may have to pay up the 15 pounds just to satisfy my curiosity.

No idea who Ann Holt could be !

Comment

Have you tried joining the Pennsylvania Schuylkill County mailing lists on Rootsweb to see if anyone can help? - click here

I use the India and Ireland Rootsweb lists and find that people are generally extremely helpful.
              Elaine

Comment

No I haven't but I will certainly give it a go.

Thankyou
                goodyg.

Comment

In those days, it was often not the state that had requirements, but rather the county that had its own rules, which may or may not have been well enforced. I think the genealogical society &/or historical society are your best bet. Also the public library.

It's also possible there may have been an obit, or a write-up in a local paper about him. Any of the three may have info about local newspapers.

Was he Church of England?

Could Ann have been a second wife?

Comment

I have contacted a Library in Shuylkill County and am waiting for a reply. Although he was C of E, his parents in England were members of the Odd Fellows Society and that is probably why his body was taken to Tamaqua. The letter sent from England requesting information was also from the Odd Fellows S.

He ``could`` have had a ``first wife `` as he had never married Mary the mother of his children as she had previously been married and never divorced. I have tried also unsuccessfully to trace an Ann Holt.

Comment

Working...
                    X