Help needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed please

You have all been so helpful in the past.Can I ask if anyone can help me ?
    I have been long trying to trace my family in Northampton,in particular my ggg grandmother Hannah Elizabeth Hickman born in 1807.She married my ggg grandfather Thomas Wheeler born in 1800.I can`t find any details of the marriage but on the 1841 census they were living in Gold street,Northants and Thomas was a Bookseller and Stationer.By then they had 4 children including my gg grandfather John.Between then and 1847 they moved to Hackney,their last child Henry was born in Croydon in 1847 and on the 1851 census Thomas was an Office Keeper and living with 4 of his children.Although it says he was married,Hannah totally disappears at this point and I can`t find her again on any other census.Youngest son Henry also disappears in 1851 but reappears in 1861 working for brother John.
    I can`t find Thomas again either although I believe he died in 1861 in Hackney.I will get the cert to verify.

Any help given would be much appreciated,this has been bothering me for a long time.

Thanks

Presumably this is her birth?

Hannah Elizabeth Hickman

birth date: 29 May 1807
    birthplace: COLLEGE STREET BAPTIST,NORTHAMPTON,NORTHAMPTON,ENGLAND

father's name: John Hickman

mother's name: Mary
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Yes,it is Glen.

Hannah Elizabeth Hickman
      England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

birth: 29 May 1807 —COLLEGE STREET BAPTIST, NORTHAMPTON, NORTHAMPTON, ENGLAND
      residence: 1807 —Northampton, England
      parents: John Hickman, Mary

record title: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
      name: Hannah Elizabeth Hickman
      birth date: 29 May 1807
      birthplace: COLLEGE STREET BAPTIST,NORTHAMPTON,NORTHAMPTON,ENGLAND
      father's name: John Hickman
      mother's name: Mary
      indexing project (batch) number: C09201-1
      system origin: England-ODM
      source film number: 825342

Comment

freereg gives the address as st giles street, northampton

Comment

probably a red herring: elizabeth hannah wheeler d.sep 1845 st pancras

Comment

Yes,I don`t think that is her as son Henry was born in 1847

Comment

The birth is also recorded in the non conformist records

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

there's a hannah elizabeth wheeler d.jun 1860 bedford

Comment

i cant find the hannah wheeler in bedfordshire in 1851

Comment

i assume the wheller's are the ones at 2 culford road north, west hackney, tower hamlets in the 1851 census?

Comment

Yes,the Wheeler`s

Comment

Sorry, I had to shoot away and now heading for work, will look back in later

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

What I was going to say before a download stopped me, the '41 doesn't show relationships so there isn't anythng prior to the '51 that really hints that they were married. Certainly in my tree I spent a long long time looking for a marriage that never happened despite birth certs for children etc. It could also be that the record is mistranscribed or just not online.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Is this the birth of Henry?

Births Dec 1848 (>99%)
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHEELER Henry Hackney 3 212

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Henry was born in 1847 in Croydon.
                              If Thomas wasn`t married to Hannah who was he married to on the 1851 census where he is recorded as married then ?
                              I have a couple of the birth certificates of the children,I will look at them again.

Thanks Glen

Comment

I have just found their son Walter`s birth certificate in 1838 and it says Hannah Elizabeth Wheeler formerly Hickman,so they must have been married I would think.

Comment

He might not have been married, I have a few who had lost a spouse a year or two before and the returns state married. The birth cert of my father indicates his parents were married but they weren't, it was all fictitious but the paperwork would lead you to think otherwise. Granny was married to someone else and did a runner to be with my grandfather, posed as a respectable married lady when registering their 3 sons and then did the dirty deed once again to be with someone else, though on that occassion she did eventually walk down the aisle and manage legitimate children.

For ref, this is post census for a Thomas Wheeler marriage, may not be him but worth noting.

Marriages Sep 1851 (>99%)
                                  Crawley Elizabeth Hackney 3 200
                                  Diver Mary Islington 3 200
                                  GOULT Eliza Hackney 3 200
                                  Greenhill Henry Hackney 3 200
                                  HANKIN James Hackney 3 200
                                  MARRIAGE Susannah Hackney 3 200
                                  ROBINSON Sarah Ann Hackney 3 200
                                  Wheeler Thomas Hackney 3 200
                                  Wiseman William Hackney 3 200

Think I found Henry this time;

Births Jun 1847
                                  Wheeler Henry Croydon 4 113

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks Glen
                                    it still doesn`t get me further back with the family though.I think I will have to hire someone from Northants to look at the archives.Difficult being here in Spain !
                                    Thanks

Comment

I can go to the archives for you. its 5 mins aways literally.one day next week probably.

Gold street sounds right for a Bookseller and Stationer.Gold street still exists today, as does College street church - their is a picture of it in the POW project in the wiki.

Hickman is a fairly popular Northampton name.
                                      Jess

Comment

Thanks Jess that would be great if you wouldn`t mind.
                                        Do you have enough info from this thread or shall I PM you ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X