Findmypast loyalty discount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Findmypast loyalty discount

Was just checking my Findmypast account to see when my next subscription is due, and see that the loyalty discount - which used to be 20% for continuous renewal - is now only 10%.

They kept this change quiet - unless I missed something! :(
    Elaine

I didn't know that so I've just checked as mine runs out in October and sure enough it is 10%, but, as we've previously been promised that we'll always get 20% can they do this?

Interestingly I've just checked what I paid last year and it was £119.95 with 20% and that included the extra for the 1911 census, this year it will be £98.95 with only 10%, so I presume that they are now including the census as part of the subscription.

It would be interesting to hear what they have to say about it, and are GR which is now part of the same group going to reduce theirs to 10%?

Margaret
    Margaret

Comment

I've sent an email asking why and when it was changed, and where and when they publicised the change!
      Will let you know when I get a reply.
      Elaine

Comment

.. and having had the continuous membership option since it was first started I will be questioning the following in their blog of September 2009

Continuous membership

We’ve also added a new ‘continuous membership’ option for subscribers who don’t want the hassle of making a manual payment each time they renew their membership, and to guarantee you get your 20% loyalty discount. (Please note: continuous membership is for subscriptions only, and does not apply to PayAsYouGo credits purchases).

If you enable continuous membership on your subscription:

You’ll never miss a payment, and will always get your 20% loyalty discount.
        Your card details will be stored securely by our online payment provider, DataCash.
        You can turn continuous membership off (and, indeed, back on again) at any time through ‘my account’.
        We’ll contact you by email shortly before your payment is due. If you decide you don’t want to renew, you can easily cancel continuous membership through the ‘my subscription’ page within ‘my account’.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          Interestingly I've just checked what I paid last year and it was £119.95 with 20% and that included the extra for the 1911 census, this year it will be £98.95 with only 10%, so I presume that they are now including the census as part of the subscription.
          They have changed their pricing slightly.
          Full subscription (with everything) is £109.95 for 12 months.
          There is also a Foundation subscription (all censuses + BMDs) which is £79.95 for 12 months, and just the 1911 census for £59.95 for 12 months.
          Elaine

Comment

Elaine, here you are:

"6 Responses to “Fantastic new subscription prices on findmypast.co.uk”

1. Elaine Wareham says:
              25 August 2011 at 1:50 pm
              It’s good to see a reduction in costs but why has the loyalty discount been reduced from 20% to 10%?

• jessmoore says:
                25 August 2011 at 2:01 pm
                Hi Elaine,
                Achieving our reduced prices meant we had to change our loyalty discount from 20% to 10%. It’s really important to us to reward our loyal customers (you won’t find a similar discount on other sites!), which is why we were adamant we had to keep the loyalty discount!
                With the reduced price of our subscriptions, you’ll still pay less overall when you renew.
                Hope this helps!
                Jess (findmypast.co.uk web editor)
                Reply"

Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Yep, just read it.

I think their loyalty discount now means very little as you frequently see FMP 10% discount offers on other sites. I think Lost Cousins had one a month or two ago, and I've seen another recently, might have been on the Society of Genealogists website, or something similar.
              Elaine

Comment

thats bad of them, can they do that after promising you will always get 20% ???? I wouldn't have thought so

Comment

A reply to my same question raised on the Findmypast blog:

@Elaine: given the massive price reduction we’ve just made to the prices of our most popular packages, we couldn’t continue with such a large discount. The statement in 2009 guaranteed your loyalty discount when you sign up using continuous membership. That commitment remains in place. However, as with prices, the level of loyalty discount was not something that was guaranteed to remain at the same rate. However, you’ll notice that for customers who are renewing and buying these two packages that the total renewal price (including the 10% loyalty discount) is less than the old renewal price (with the 20% discount). So pound for pound, subscribers are getting even better value.
                  Fair comment that the price has now been reduced, which is good news for everyone but a shame, in my opinion, that they are only offering a loyalty discount which can be found elsewhere, e.g. discount offers occasionally posted on other websites/magazines etc.
                  There doesn't seem to be a lot of incentive to keep a continuous membership going.
                  Elaine

Comment

There is 30% cash back through Top Cash Back.

Comment

Yes. I did a double-take when I saw that. It wasn't my imagination that the loyalty discount was 20%!

It does rather devalue the loyalty bit of the discount, when the 10% is so often generally available, even if the current fee works out cheaper.

Incidentally, the new Search All page lists lots more records than it used to do.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, and when you read the email advertising the discount it gives one the impression that FMP is being benevolent and giving one
                        fantastic new prices etc etc, all the time failing to mention that the 20 percent discount has been removed. Brickbats
                        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

im not complaining!! if its cheaper than it used to be, with more in the package, and the site hasnt gone downhill in service, im happy!! and my sub is due in december.

Comment

I don't like the new layout, took me ages to find anything & I told them so.
                            Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

The last time I went on Find My Past, the site was different. ACK. I'm old and resistant to change. I managed to get to where I wanted. I do hope that they make the changes gradually so that there is always something familiar. When Ancestry got pricy I switched to monthly memberships when I have the time. FMP was cheap enough to have a yearly membership for any time access. When November comes round I will have to reexamine the situation. Maybe I can declare my tree fully grown.
                              Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

has anyone tried to upload a new gedcom on there ? it seems to be taking forever

Comment

Never tried it Val.
                                  Can't see the point at the moment as trees aren't searchable, or at least they weren't the last time I looked! Has it changed?
                                  Elaine

Comment

Donelda, I'm not sure if you know that a lot of libraries in BC offer free access to Ancestry so if you're close to one, it's worth checking. I subscribe to FMP and use the library to search records on Ancestry - best of both worlds.

As an aside, I'm having trouble posting on this site so couldn't quote Donelda's post.
                                    Jenny

Comment

Working...
                                    X