Find My Past Blog - Ask the Expert - military Malta mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - Ask the Expert - military Malta mystery

Our resident military expert Paul Nixon, pictured below, answers your queries.
    From M Marshall in Barnet, Hertfordshire:
    ‘A relative called John Telford Graham (born 1890/91) came from Newcastle upon Tyne and served in the First World War. He belonged to The Army Medical Corps (Territorial Force) and died on 15 July 1917 in Malta. His army number was 386384 and his rank was Private.
    What was the cause of John’s death? Where was he buried in Malta? Why was his unit serving in Malta? I would be most grateful if you could answer these questions.’
    Paul says:
    Soldiers Died in The Great War notes simply ‘died’ which probably means that he died as a result of sickness or accident; probably the former, as Pieta Military Cemetery dealt with the sick and wounded from Gallipoli and Salonika. The Commonwealth war Graves Commission gives the following information:
    Name: GRAHAM, JOHN TELFORD
    Initials: J T
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps
    Unit Text: 2nd/1st Northumbrian Field Amb
    Date of Death: 15/07/1917
    Service No: 386384
    Additional information: Son of John Sewell Graham and Margaret Ann Graham, of “Holmside,” Armstrong Rd., Benwell, Newcastle-on-Tyne.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: C. XIV. 5.
    Cemetery: PIETA MILITARY CEMETERY
    The 2/1st Northumbrian FA was initially part of the 63rd (2nd Northumbrian) Division and you can read more about this Division on The Long, Long Trail website. From the information contained here, the unit had moved to Salonika as Army Troops in September 1916.’

If you’d like to send your question to our experts, please register or opt to receive newsletters in My Account. Unfortunately our experts only have time to answer a few queries each month. If yours wasn’t answered this time, you could be lucky next month!

More...
Working...
X