Apprentice Books, 1710–1811.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apprentice Books, 1710–1811.

Apprentice Books, 1710–1811, now new online at Ancestry. Worldwide Annual membership to view, I believe.

Press Release

Search page
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Originally posted by keldon View Post
    Worldwide Annual membership to view, I believe.
    UK Premium membership allows you access.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks for spotting that, off to take a look...

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        UK Premium membership allows you access.
        http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1851
        Thanks Elaine! I get confused which one can see which as I have Worldwide.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I've died and gone to heaven!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Tell all, Little Nell. What have you found?
            Elaine

Comment

Nothing wildly exciting Elaine, but just some occupations for people I didn't know had any.
              But I did get a thrill when I found Arthur Seales of Limpenhoe, cordwainer, as I believe he is my gt x 4 grandfather, his daughter baptised as Kezia Saul and married as Kezia Seals is my gt x 3 grandmother. I've also found an Edmund Saul, who I think is linked, as an apprentice taylor [sic]. Kezia Seals' husband John Dunt and most of his near relations were tailors. It's all fitting nicely.

I've also found ex's gt x 4 grandfather John Higho, citizen & haberdasher of London, which ties in with his death cert - he died at Haberdasher's Askes Almshouses in Hoxton.
              And ex's gt x 4 grandfather Reuben Marsden, cabinet maker in Colchester, which also fits with existing info.

I get excited quite easily!

Comment

Sounds quite a good find, certainly adds a few more facts to the family lines. Lucky you!
                Elaine

Comment

I have found Nathaniel Pusey of Amersham, my OH's 6X Great Grandfather and it gives his father's name!!!!

Another generation back!
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy - what a bonus!

Comment

I haven't gleaned any generations or new occupations but found two surgeons and a baker.

I did find a variant spelling (yup, a Gulson) in Leicester recorded as a surgeon, if he is one of mine it still leaves a missing generation to find before I get back to him though.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

So, once you know the date and trade, you can go to that guild's records, and find the entry. It will probably give the apprentice's father. Also, the guild's record sometimes has other bits of useful information.

oh, I see now that some of the index records give the father.

I have the guild apprenticeship record for a (possible) ancestor, but he's not in ancestry's index! And I found the record thru the index on British Origins. So, if you don't find your ancestor on Ancestry, consider checking BO.
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 25-08-11, 02:40.

Comment

Alas I haven't found anyone so far, but wouldn't they have to have been a quite wealthy family to be able to pay that sort of money out.

For instance my GGG Grandfather was a tailor. I would have thought he'd need to have served an apprenticeship for that trade but I don't think the family were wealthy.

June

Comment

June, I imagine that anyone could set themselves up as a tailor without necessarily having been apprenticed. Also, I have several people in my tree who were apprenticed (late 1800s, early 1900s), after having spent their childhood in the workhouse. These were from Cheltenham workhouse, but I expect other workhouses operated similar schemes. They were from poor backgrounds and I often think they would never have ended up with trades if they hadn't been brought up in the workhouse.

scuda
                            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thanks Scuda.

My G Grandfather, Alfred Joseph Russell was a Plumber glazier journeyman. I assume he served an apprenticeship but it was 1840/50's.

Where could I find those records?

June

Comment

I've found a Henry Moore, apprenticed to a glasscutter in St Clement Danes, Middlesex in 1774. My 4xgt grandfather born between 1782 and 1786, place unknown, lived in the area around St Clement Danes and his funeral took place in that church. He was a glass cutter, glass merchant and maker of glass lampshades......so was the apprentice his father? Could be I think.

Other than that, I've found loads of OH's family in these records.
                                ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                                Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by JuneR View Post
                                  Thanks Scuda.

My G Grandfather, Alfred Joseph Russell was a Plumber glazier journeyman. I assume he served an apprenticeship but it was 1840/50's.

Where could I find those records?

June
                                  It's important to know where he lived/trained. Also, at the end of the 1700s/beginning of the 1800s, the guilds were losing their locks on their respective trades. So craftsmen who would have been guild members in an earlier time might not have been during that time period.

Records for glaziers do exist:
                                  www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&colum ns=*%2C0%2C0&titleno=176465&disp=Glaziers'+Company +records%2C+1694-18++

You may be able to find them at LMA (I think the LMA received the Guildhall records?) or request the films to your local family history center.

Comment

June -
                                    Did you look for him in city directories?

Others will be able to answer this better than I, but I think Journeyman implies finishing an apprenticeship, did not become a master (able to take on other apprentices), probably worked for a master, might not have had the "freedom of the company".

Comment

there appear to be some family members in the early 18th century in lancashire, but i havnt seen my ancestor in london during the 1790s in any lists.

Comment

PhotoFamily
                                        He was born in Dover Kent, but in 1851 census when he was 18, he was lodging with a family in Worcestershire. Thats where I saw he was a journeyman. So maybe that is where he did his apprenticeship. Also I discovered the family he was lodging with was his Grandmother's cousin.
                                        I have looked in city directories but one that I found in Lamberhurst kent I disproved as I found him in the census. I have found Alfred Russell Plumber,Painter & Glazier in 1874 Kellys Directory
                                        in W Langdon Kent but haven't found him in census yet. However at this time my Alfred was living in East End of London.
                                        June

Comment

Working...
                                        X