England family in Padstow Cornwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England family in Padstow Cornwall

I am currently doing some research for my family tree. Here are some of the names that I have in a table and they are related in some way as even now, the family name is rare in the United Kingdom so, in a village of only 3,162 habitants, we must be related. Here are some names that I have:

1785 Issey, St. John ENGLAND Humphry ENGLAND Blanche TREVETHAN
    1786 Padstow Thomas ENGLAND Humphry Ann
    1787 Padstow William ENGLAND Humphry Blanch
    1789 Padstow William ENGLAND Humphry Ann
    1790 Padstow Thomas ENGLAND Humphry Blanch
    1792 Padstow Humphry ENGLAND Humphry Ann
    1792 Padstow James ENGLAND Humphry Blanch
    1792 Padstow James ENGLAND Humphry Blanch
    1795 Padstow Mary ENGLAND Humphry Blanch
    1796 Padstow Humphry ENGLAND Humphry Ann
    1799 Padstow James ENGLAND Humphry Ann
    1803 Padstow Susanna ENGLAND Humphry Ann
    1810 Padstow John ENGLAND John Jenny
    1812 Issey, St. Mary ENGLAND John ENGLAND Jenifer RICHARDS
    1813 Issey, St. Nancy ENGLAND John ENGLAND Jenifer RICHARDS
    1816 Issey, St. James ENGLAND John ENGLAND Jenifer RICHARDS
    1818 Padstow Jane ENGLAND John Jenny
    1818 Padstow James ENGLAND William Susanna
    1820 Padstow Mary ENGLAND Thomas Elizabeth
    1821 Padstow Marianne ENGLAND William Susanna
    1823 Padstow Humphry ENGLAND Thomas Elizabeth
    1823 Padstow Elizabeth ENGLAND John Jenny
    1825 Padstow Humphry ENGLAND John Jenny
    1826 Padstow Humphry ENGLAND John Jenny
    1828 Padstow Maria ENGLAND John Jane
    1828 Padstow Thomas Henry Drew ENGLAND Thomas Mary
    1830 Padstow Mary Jane ENGLAND Thomas Mary
    1839 Padstow Jane ENGLAND John Mary
    1843 Padstow Mary Jane ENGLAND Josiah Betsy
    1844 Padstow Robert Power ENGLAND Josiah Betsy
    1846 Padstow Thomas ENGLAND James Eliza
    1846 Padstow John ENGLAND Josiah Betsy
    1848 Padstow Martha ENGLAND Josiah Betsy
    1848 Padstow William Henry ENGLAND Humphry Mary Jane
    1850 Padstow Louisa ENGLAND Josiah Betsy
    1851 Padstow James ENGLAND Humphry Mary Jane
    1853 Padstow Thomas ENGLAND Humphry Mary Jane
    1854 Padstow John ENGLAND Josiah Betsy
    1856 Padstow Thomas ENGLAND Josiah Betsy
    1858 Padstow Caroline ENGLAND Josiah Betsy
    1859 Padstow Robert ENGLAND Josiah Betsy
    1861 Padstow Josiah ENGLAND Josiah Betsy
    1864 Padstow Nathaniel ENGLAND Josiah Betsy
    1867 Padstow Kate ENGLAND Martha
    I do apologise if that is too much information to give. Josiah England is my great great grandfather and his son Robert, was my great-grandfather. If anybody has any information with regards to the England family who may still live there, I will be most grateful for all information received.

Robert England
    http://www.mancunianreds.com/
    Names looking for:
    ENGLAND (Cornwall especially Padstow or St Columb Mjr and Stoke Damerel, Devonport, Devon) TRESIDDER (Cornwall) PRYNN (Cornwall) WORDEN (Cornwall)
    "Nothing great is easy" Captain Matthew Webb

Hello Robert and welcome to FTF.

I think the chance of anyone on this small site being connected to your England family is remote and you would be better to do some proactive searching.

I live in Cornwall and have just looked in the phone book. There are a few people named England in the Padstow area.

Can I suggest you write to them giving a brief outline of your tree. Another idea is to write to the local paper which will have a letters page, asking for contact with England family members.

Your County library should have a copy of the Cornwall telephone directory but I am happy to help with extracted addresses if that would be easier for you.

OC

Comment

I had a uni friend (in the 1970s) whose mother's maiden name was ENGLAND. As he said, his mother was Miss England! (Rather in the way that I know Father Christmas).

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Hello Robert and welcome to FTF.

I think the chance of anyone on this small site being connected to your England family is remote and you would be better to do some proactive searching.

I live in Cornwall and have just looked in the phone book. There are a few people named England in the Padstow area.

Can I suggest you write to them giving a brief outline of your tree. Another idea is to write to the local paper which will have a letters page, asking for contact with England family members.

Your County library should have a copy of the Cornwall telephone directory but I am happy to help with extracted addresses if that would be easier for you.

OC
        Many thanks for your response Olde Crone. I was just throwing it out there in all fairness as the name is unusual for England. As you can see with the names I have got, I have actually done some proactive searching and it has got me some positive results. I have my father, my grandfather(via Commonwealth War Graves Commission), my great-grandparents(again, via Commonwealth War Graves Commission being the parents of my grandfather) and my great-great grandparents. So, I have done quite well to continue down the Paternal route, it is simply a question of finding out how many children each of my common ancestors i.e My grandparents/great-grandparents and great-great grandparents. As you know, this can be daunting with so many children dying at that time in the 1800s so, the family basically continued to have more children. I think with my great-great grandparent Josiah, he had 11 children. Unfortunately, I live and work in France at the moment(as does my cousin who I have never seen, and who also shares my name plus that of my grandfather too.) So, if the offer of helping with extracted addresses is on offer, then I would be grateful. One question, when I send my letters to all those concerned in Padstow, would it be a good idea to send photocopies of the above information as the names might jog some memories. Have a nice evening. Robert England
        Names looking for:
        ENGLAND (Cornwall especially Padstow or St Columb Mjr and Stoke Damerel, Devonport, Devon) TRESIDDER (Cornwall) PRYNN (Cornwall) WORDEN (Cornwall)

Comment

Robert

When I said proactive searching I really meant that you should look at other sites to see if anyone else is researching the England families.

I think you will have to do a bit more work before you can approach living people because unless they are researching the family themselves, they are unlikely to know if they are related to people in the 1800s and earlier.

If you trace all these people on the censuses, that will tell you how many children they had and so on and you can build some mini trees which will help you to identify living relatives - and help them to identify their place in your tree.

OC

Comment

I don't think the surname is that rare. I have the England surname in my tree - a whole lot of them from Norfolk, the other side of the country from you.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Robert

When I said proactive searching I really meant that you should look at other sites to see if anyone else is researching the England families.

I think you will have to do a bit more work before you can approach living people because unless they are researching the family themselves, they are unlikely to know if they are related to people in the 1800s and earlier.

If you trace all these people on the censuses, that will tell you how many children they had and so on and you can build some mini trees which will help you to identify living relatives - and help them to identify their place in your tree.

OC
              Many thanks for your post. Well, I have asked a cousin about his links to the England family and it was positive and it confirms what I have in my own tree. I still have my aunties who live in Padstow so, I will need to get in touch with them to find out some more. The key thing was that all those visits to my auntie's house in the early 1980s did pay dividends as she spoke about the "Coxswain", "RNLI", "Bluey", Auntie Mildred, Auntie Delia and many others. So, here is the list:

Code:
              This is the census of 1891:

117,Llanadwell St,1,[B]Robert England,Head,M,32,,Sailor,Employed,Padstow Cornwall,, ,,,[/B]
              Cordila Ann England,Wife,M,,30,,,St Kew Cornwall,, ,,,
              Thomas J England,Son,,11,,Scholar,,Padstow Cornwall,, ,,,[I]
              Gress W England[/I],Dau,,,9,Scholar,,Padstow Cornwall,, ,,,
              Mary Jane England,Dau,,,6,Scholar,,Padstow Cornwall,, ,,,
              [B]Cordila Ann England,Dau,,,4,,,Padstow Cornwall,, ,,,[/B]
              Robert England,Son,,1,,,,Padstow Cornwall,,
              There is a "Cordila", which could be a mispelling of "Cordelia." It appears that my grandfather wasn't born yet(1904.) My father was born in1938, and it is strange to find there was another one named above called "Thomas J England", nevertheless, I won't take it for granted but I know it is a good start. Now is the time to contact my aunties. Many thanks for your post. Here is the link for the enumeration districts of Padstow:

Names looking for:

Comment

Robert

OC
                As I posted earlier, I have at least two aunties who still live in and around the Padstow area who were born in the 1930s so, if they can remember their aunties/uncles or cousins, then that would be a good start, especially if I have them in my tree.
                Names looking for:

Comment

There seems very little point then in me sending you names and addresses if you have relations who live there already!

OC

Comment

Robert

OC
                    As I posted earlier, I have at least two aunties who still live in and around the Padstow area who were born in the 1930s so, if they can remember their aunties/uncles or cousins, then that would be a good start, especially if I have them in my tree.
                    Names looking for:

Comment

There seems very little point then in me sending you names and addresses if you have relations who live there already!

OC
                      Hello!! I have finally made some contact with two people who were born in Padstow. As I mentioned in my first post, Padstow is a very small fishing village and to find the England family name is rare compared to finding either a Taylor/Watson/Smith or even Jones. Nevertheless, I have been provided some information with regards to my family. This is what I found on the internet about the England family and the RNLI in Padstow:

125 YEARS-A LIFEBOATING FAMILY
                      This year (2008) marks 125 years of lifeboat crew service for the England family in four consecutive
                      generations. Robert England was the first to join in 1883 and was followed by his brother
                      Nathaniel (Michael’s Great Grandfather) in 1894. Robert England was known as Captain Bob and
                      served on the crew for some 16 years until 1899.
                      So, there is some good news at last.
                      Last edited by mancunianred; 25-08-11, 21:11.
                      Names looking for:

Comment

Hi funny enough been in Padstow today, visiting the church which has Louisa England buried and her only son my father inlaw Norman Anthony Alford who died 3 years ago. Louisa England son of Robert lived in Hawkers Cove and left Padstow for London where she met and married Barron Hyam Alford an actor his original name was Aarons. Barron was an actor so I assume Alford was his stage name. We do know that his family disowned him because he was Jewish and Lucy was Gentile. He died when my father inlaw was only 7 and the family wanted to take Tony and bring him up in the Jewish faith which Lucy refused so they family cut them both off. I know this is not your direct family but its a bit of information about one of the Englands.

Comment

Hi Linda.

I dont think Mancunianred has been on this site since 2011, but if you click on his username it will give you an option to send him a private message and if his e mail addy is still current he may recieve your message.

Welcome to the Forum

Edna

Comment

I have England in my family tree, from Padstow 5 generations ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X