Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start with an adoption???!!!

Good morning all!

A friend of mine has asked me to help trace his family which involves an adoption in Swansea.

His father was adopted but is now deceased. All we know is that according to his death certificate, his date of birth was 1934.

Is my friend allowed any access to the adoption records / birth certificate of his father? And where would he start?

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Squirrel

The birth cert could be ordered if the birth name and details are known(via the GRO with the ref number), the adoption file is closed and cannot be accessed by anyone other than the adoptee.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 23-08-11, 11:44.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Hi Glen,
      There's no record for him in the GRO indexes (Terence Anthony Owens - his death (1976) index reference gives his date of birth as 18/5/1934), so I guess his name was changed. Family stories (of course taken with a pinch of salt!!) say Terence's birth mother was called Charlotte Crowley from Ireland and fell pregnant to a British Army Officer. She apparently cam to Swansea to give birth, but died in childbirth. Any ideas where I go from here?
      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SueSquirrel View Post
        ... Terence's birth mother was called Charlotte Crowley from Ireland and fell pregnant to a British Army Officer. She apparently cam to Swansea to give birth, but died in childbirth.
        There are no Charlotte Crowley deaths in Glamorgan on the BMD Index for 1934. :(
        Elaine

Comment

You could look at the electoral roll for the address where Terence was born to see if the name you have is listed. On reflection this is not likely to be known if no birth certificate.

Here's a death in the right year but not the right quarter. The surname is right but not the first name, middle initial could be right though

Lily C Crowley
          Birth Date: abt 1893
          Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1934
          Age at Death: 41
          Registration district: Swansea Inferred County: Glamorganshire
          Volume: 11a Page: 901
          Last edited by margaretmarch; 23-08-11, 13:56.

Comment

Post adoption name won't be in the GRO birth index, it would appear in the adoption register but again that's closed to public access. A quick look seems to show it's a reasonably common surname in Wales as there are quite a few birth entries.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

There's a Charlotte Crowley b1893 in Cardiff on the 1911 census
              30a Cowbridge Road Cardiff
              Cardiff
              Reference RG14PN32164 RD588 SD4 ED32 SN9999

I am trying to see what sort of place that was as she is described as an inmate.
              Margaret

Comment

Hey - very interesting - born same year that this Lily C Crowley was born!! Excellent Margaret!!
                Have to follow this up!

Comment

Looks like it's a Workhouse http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Cardiff

Comment

There is a marriage in 1920 between a Lily C Carpenter and John Crowley, 1920 2nd quarter - Swansea, so the 1934 death might refer to her.
                    Elaine

Comment

Here's a Charlotte Crowley in Ireland 1911 census who could be a candidate

Crowley George 57 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland
                      Crowley Charlotte 47 Female Wife Church of Ireland
                      Crowley Charlotte 13 Female Daughter Church of Ireland
                      Crowley Francis Joseph 11 Male Son Church of Ireland
                      Crowley Edward 9 Male Son Church of Ireland
                      Crowley Charles Conrad 7 Male Son Church of Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        There is a marriage in 1920 between a Lily C Carpenter and John Crowley, 1920 2nd quarter - Swansea, so the 1934 death might refer to her.
                        Looks very likely to be her :(

Comment

Here's the link Sue - 1901/1911 census

- it's free!
                          Elaine

Comment

(Snap! Elaine) The Irish censuses are here: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

I've had a look to see if there were a Terence A born where the surname of the child matched the maiden name of the mother. I used FreeBMD, and found none at all in the June & September Qs of 1934, so that would suggest a whole-name change.

A similar check, but with CROWLEY/CROWLEY has only two names - a female b Pancras (i.e. London) and a single-name male b W Derby (which is approx Liverpool, so by no means impossible). The tricky bit is that not being able to find a death for that W Derby name wouldn't mean much since there's every possibility that that person would still be alive. And having only one given name makes it much harder to narrow down.

Christine
                            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 23-08-11, 13:43.
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Here's the Charlotte Crowley shown on the 1911 on the 1901 I think

Her father John is Irish!
                              Margaret

Comment

There are 6 deaths recorded for Charlotte ??? in Swansea 1934 - might be one of those.

Margaret

Comment

If mother - ? Charlotte Crowley - had died in childbirth, would the child still have been registered at birth as Crowley?
                                  I can see no male Crowley births in Glamorganshire for 1934 2nd quarter.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Thinking that part of the story might be true eg the name, then even if Charlotte was married her married surname would appear on the birth index and there is a birth for a male Crowley in Dec 1934 - I know that is late for the date of birth given but just a thought.

It would be unusual for family to actually conjure up a completely fictitious name to give for the birth mother.

It might be useful to know the circumstances surrounding the adoption if any other details are known.

Margaret

Comment

If mother - ? Charlotte Crowley - had died in childbirth, would the child still have been registered at birth as Crowley?
                                      I can see no male Crowley births in Glamorganshire for 1934 2nd quarter.
                                      I can't see what else they could do. Otherwise it would be like a foundling birth where mother is not known. I suppose it's possible she was not able to give her name if say she had gone into labour and was so bad she could not speak, but surely someone would have known her?
                                      Margaret

Comment

She could still be the mother of an illegitimate child though couldn't she? The death cert would be the only way of knowing if this could be the one.

Comment

Working...
                                        X