Another Census Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Census Question!

Is it possible to search a house number and road rather than searching by name?

If you know the parish and which district you can go through the images one by one on Ancestry.

For example, leave all the name details blank but put a parish name down in the keyword box, hit search and a result for that parish will come up, at the top of the image is a district number,click on that and you can get to the district description that lists the streets, if the place you want is within the district you can search through the whole district image by image, bit of a bum numbing exercise for a big city district but it does overcome the badly mistranscribed entries.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Not quite the same, or as easy as using Findmypast, but you can often find a particular street with Ref/folio nos. from the Historical Street Project at the National Archives, and then using that information search for that street/district on Ancestry - click here
      It only covers the street indexes for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891 - and I am not sure whether it's full coverage for any years or not - but certainly a site worth bookmarking.

You can search the 1881 census on Ancestry by address.
      Elaine

Comment

Working...
      X