Amo, amas, amat - er, what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amo, amas, amat - er, what?

It's been a very long time since I was at school and although I can work my way through the basic form, I can't make out what's written in the left-hand column underneath Sara Elizabeth Lyness's surname. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance.

Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

ooh its foreign sorry

Comment

My Latin isn't brilliant I'm afraid - Amo, Amas, Amat just about makes sense to me

it starts "This 12th February", and then thre is something about an infant called Sara Elizabeth and the informant was William (Gulimus) Pinnington - I think
      Barbara

Comment

Hi
        You've also got a few words in Latin before Sara's name,have you managed to work out what it says? Could it be baptised at home (domo) mortis pereclum meaning that she was about to die? Guliulmus Pinnington was the priest.
        Left hand side You've got a few words which includes infant followed by a bit which loosely translates as "I Guliulmus Pinnington have written underneath". Then sacred ceremonies,-- 3 words--- " et nomen " named? Sara Elizabeth ---1 word--- Guliulmus Pinnington.
        Best I can do, perhaps someone can fill in the gaps? Have you looked for a death for her?
        Moggie

Comment

I'd offer to help, but I don't have an Ancestry sub, so I can't see the critical bit of the image. There is at least one Latin scholar on the site, as I recall... Now who is it?!

Is there anyone in the Research Offers board?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
            Hi
            You've also got a few words in Latin before Sara's name,have you managed to work out what it says? Could it be baptised at home (domo) mortis pereclum meaning that she was about to die? Guliulmus Pinnington was the priest.
            Left hand side You've got a few words which includes infant followed by a bit which loosely translates as "I Guliulmus Pinnington have written underneath". Then sacred ceremonies,-- 3 words--- " et nomen " named? Sara Elizabeth ---1 word--- Guliulmus Pinnington.
            Best I can do, perhaps someone can fill in the gaps? Have you looked for a death for her?
            Moggie
            The previously named child having been brought

I wonder whether, having been privately baptised at home because she was in danger of dying, this is a record of her being brought to be "received into the church"
            Last edited by JudithM; 22-08-11, 14:33.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far.

I have an Elizabeth Lyness on the fringes of my maternal grandmother's tree. She married Sidney Allton in 1941 in Liverpool, but I don't have the certificate to check any details.

I've picked up a death of an Elizabeth Allton in Liverpool in 1969 which gives her dob as 4 Feb 1896.

Then Ancestry sent me this hint about Sara Elizabeth Lyness who was born on 4 Feb 1895 and a lot of Latin I didn't understand (this is my first Catholic baptism).

So there are two basic possibilities:

1. That Sara(h) Elizabeth and Elizabeth are one and the same person, but someone mis-recorded her dob by one year when they registered her death.
              2. That they are different people.

Haven't had chance to find out much about Sara(h) Elizabeth yet, 'cos I've been out a lot. I had wondered whether the Latin I couldn't read said that Sara(h) had died on 12 Feb, in which case I could easily discount her, but it turns out that isn't the case, so there's still plenty of work to do to sort this bit out.

STG
              Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Amo amas amat, amarmus amartis amant (I think)!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                  Amo amas amat, amarmus amartis amant (I think)!
                  I think you'll find that you're right for the pronunciation, but the actual Latin doesn't have the "r" in the middle!

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X