Can you help me with Regina Katherina Kuhnle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me with Regina Katherina Kuhnle

Hi there, I'm looking for an entry in the uk 1881 census for Regina Katherina Kuhnle, born 21 Feb 1861 in Germany. hausen neckarkeis Wuerttemburg but believed to be living in London in 1881, I can not find any record of her, her widowed mother and siblings were on the census in 1881 at 22 st George street St George in The East, London, England.

I would really appreciate some help if any one can :¬) Angela

cannot find her in 1881 or 1891 either?

Comment

Hi I know where she is on the 91 census its just the 1881 census, by 91 shes married to Peter Voltmer and I know all about her from then on , how many kids she had and how young she was when she died ( complete with marriage and death certs etc) But I am trying to establish where she was in 1881, and even when she may have come here from Germany, I know the rest of her family are on the 1881 census but cant find her!...All help appreciated, :¬) Thanks

Comment

I can't find her at all in 1881 but is this her marriage?

If so, have you tried searching under the name Katherina only, possibly in Limehouse?

Have you seen that there is someone on Ancestry with her in their private tree who seems to have quite a few documents relating to her? I've just thought.... perhaps it's you, in which case I apologise for raising your hopes!
        ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
        Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Hi there Ann, I do have both reginas marriages and yes piggycatpiggy is all my handy work on the ancestry site, I have researched her extensively so am not looking for any other paperwork, just her where abouts on 1881 and maybe a clue of when she entered the uk, I'm usually very good with getting records and finding people , but this census is really a tough one, she was still unmarried in 1881. I did try and look through teh entire census records for Limehouse, but I'm afraid I may have missed her, that area is listed in her first marriage.
          Thanks for the help, just to clarify it is the 1881 census only I'm looking for unless entry to the uk can also be found:¬)
          Angela

Comment

if she's in service she may be mistranscribed or worse.

Comment

Hi kyle, yes, most problems I've had have been down to mis-transcription, I know there was no occupation down on either of her marriages certs but that doesnt conclusively mean she isnt in service

Comment

Hi there Julie, I have just had a look at that one, and while promising I'm not entirely sure as there appear to be others with the surname Kuhn from germany in that part of London so it may a surname in its own right rather than the enumerators mistake, its very tempting though and I wont discount it entirely just yet. Thanks

Comment

I guess it all depends as well 'how' the enumerator heard it, if they did of course, or working from the filled in sheets that the householder completed, just as a side note have you tried looking at the LDS version of the 1881 census? it might be that they have a better transcription of her surname?
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks again, I'm looking at the actual records on ancestry.co.uk and can see the hand filled in sheet and its definitely as transcribed, but looking at other names in varies parts of London through to portsmouth there are quite a few with the name kuhn as a surname in its own right.

Comment

Nope, cant see her. K is often confused with R on census but no luck.

Have you tried looking for the people who are marriage witnesses on the 1881 in case she is nearby?
                      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 22-08-11, 12:07.

Comment

Originally posted by ajchambers8 View Post
                        Thanks again, I'm looking at the actual records on ancestry.co.uk and can see the hand filled in sheet and its definitely as transcribed, but looking at other names in varies parts of London through to portsmouth there are quite a few with the name kuhn as a surname in its own right.
                        ah, what I actually meant was have you tried looking for her on the LDS 1881 census, as we know that Ancestry does have a bad habit of mistranscribing people.. just thought it might be another avenue to explore, or even by FMP (as sometimes they have better transcriptions)
                        Julie

Comment

Good idea heather, the marriage banns are here which have the witness nameshttp://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...m1&pid=5165878 but I cant make out what their names are the first is 'Christian' but the surnes are anyones guess! ...I have gone from the start to end of Limehouse records before to find her but couldnt arggg! ...I appreciate your help!
                          By the way the marriage was for 1883, they had twins albert and august both died in infancy, and she herself was a widow shortly after.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                            ah, what I actually meant was have you tried looking for her on the LDS 1881 census, as we know that Ancestry does have a bad habit of mistranscribing people.. just thought it might be another avenue to explore, or even by FMP (as sometimes they have better transcriptions)
                            ahh I see what you mean! sorry! yes will try the other sites that have a transcription of it....good plan!

Comment

The bottom witness looks like Sarah KNATT and that is written underneath her signature. The top one looks like FURR or PURR with possibly an umlaut on the U.
                              Margaret

Comment

oooh the surname of Christian is DURR by the looks of it. and a Sarah KNATT/KNOTT :conf: they also married by Licence, which if you can find might give a little more information.

Christian 1881: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1881&indiv=1
                                Julie

Comment

Thanks Margaret.. I shall have to see...it would be good if they were servants in the same house but doubt anything will be quite as simple as that!

Comment

Thanks Julie, is there a difference for a marriage by liscense and an ordinary usual marriage where banns are called?

Comment

Originally posted by ajchambers8 View Post
                                      Thanks Julie, is there a difference for a marriage by liscense and an ordinary usual marriage where banns are called?
                                      from what I can gather when a marriage is by licence there is usually a seperate entry/form which relates to the marriage, I have seen them but for the life of me I cant remember what it was on!..
                                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                                      X