Downloading books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading books

I've been thinking of buying an Android (my friend has one) to download books from the Gutenberg site and my local library as I don't want to block up my very old XP pc and newer but irritating laptop. I also want it to be small enough to take on journeys. I noticed on amazon that reviews say the batteries don't last for very long (2 hrs max). Still, it's only £70.0 and seems a good deal. Does anyone have one of these or similar and can advise. I don't particularly want kindle as there are loads of older books on gutenberg that I haven't read. The library will let me download more modern stuff.

Any thoughts or comments welcome and thanks in advance. Ayse
    Last edited by ayse; 21-08-11, 13:44. Reason: forgot something

Do have an Android cheapy pad , use it as a book reader and main job means of carrying tree around. Battery life as you say not that long but up to now thats not been a problem.
    You quoted £70 does that include memory as in my case at least need fair size and thats not cheap. If could afford some of the dearer pads are probably better buy, does depend on your budget.

Comment

Can you suggest a better buy as I'm very new to this stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by ayse View Post
        Can you suggest a better buy as I'm very new to this stuff?
        Sorry no expert and the cost of alternatives, is a fair bit more, my one does what brought it for, but has limitations, main one screen is hard to read in daylight and its for me not easy to use touch screen (have a health problem) so use a stylus but this does mark screen.
        If could afford would love an Ipad but sadly out of my price range

Comment

Thanks for that. I'm on a bit of a budget too and don't really know enough to make an informed decision. I'll have to look into it a bit more. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by ayse View Post
            I've been thinking of buying an Android (my friend has one) to download books from the Gutenberg site and my local library as I don't want to block up my very old XP pc and newer but irritating laptop. I also want it to be small enough to take on journeys. I noticed on amazon that reviews say the batteries don't last for very long (2 hrs max). Still, it's only £70.0 and seems a good deal. Does anyone have one of these or similar and can advise. I don't particularly want kindle as there are loads of older books on gutenberg that I haven't read. The library will let me download more modern stuff.

Any thoughts or comments welcome and thanks in advance. Ayse
            Ayse, am abit confused, you say you dont want a Kindle because on Gutenburg there are older books you havent read, is this because you want to download the book/s TO read? with a Kindle you can also read PDF's, and if you download a book as a PDF from Gutenburg then you can read it ON a kindle, and the battery will last about a month on ONE charge.

I bought my daughter a Kindle last xmas and she is that impressed with it, my OH went and bought one for himself!
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just shows how little I know about it. I thought kindle was for downloading books from amazon that I'd bought. I'll have another look as I only want to read books etc. I don't know very much about it at all. I knew I'd get some good advice on here. Better than going to a shop and coming out even more confused.Thanks for helping me out

Comment

Ayse,

Amazon have alot of books on there to download, for example, on my phone I have kindle, and have had Mrs Beetons cookbook, and various other 'old' gardening books and almanacs, there is asection where you can download 'classics' for free, as I have these too. so, not only for paid books but also for free ones too. (and with a kindle you can store 3,500 books where as other ones you can only store 10000)
                Julie

Comment

here you go, see if this works

Julie

Comment

Thanks, I'll have a look. The more info the better. I like that kindle battery seems to last for ages so it would be good for a long trip (to OZ for example). Save carrying all those books in the plane - usually two new and very thick to last the journey.

Are there anymore good download sites?

cheers for the info

Comment

erm, let me think

Project Gutenburg
                      internet Archive
                      google books

I think that there was a link on the Amazon page that tells you where else you can get d'loads from Ayse.
                      Julie

Comment

I'm still trying to decide but Kindle sounds much better than an Android. It's the battery life. The library service in Newcastle also has free books to borrow via download. Thanks for the other websites. I can see a purchase coming on.

Just to let you knwo the allotment or garden as Geordie folk call it, has grown us loads of cabbage. the beans have been very slow but now seem to be picking up. Onions and carrots coming on fine as ae the sprouts.

Have a lovely day - can't wait to retire.

Comment

Ayse,

I dont think for one moment you will regret buying a Kindle, the screen is just a bit bigger than a paperback book, whereas if you have a smartfone then the screen is decidely smaller! If there is a Tesco Extra near you, they have been selling Kindles aswell, (just depends if you want to wait or not!)

I know its not exactly brilliant, but this might give you an idea of size, this is my daughters Kindle (with my hand holding it) and I bought her the red case to protect it too, (seperately)

brilliant news about the garden too, glad to see you have had some results this year with it! :smilee:
                          Last edited by Darksecretz; 25-08-11, 15:25.
                          Julie

Comment

Someone at work has a kindle too. I've read a bit more and I'll have to check the pay packet. I just happen to be one of those very lucky older people who has a job. Not very well paid but better than nothing. Don't think I can afford the cover as well though. Had a look on ebay and they have some covers - pretty cheap. Lovely picture on your daughter's kindle. Just my cup of tea.... talking of which....it's got to be lunchtime. Cheers

Comment

Ayse,
                              the cover was less than £20 new..
                              this is where I got daughters from

the screensaver is automatically rotated when you turn the kindle off, so you never quite know which one you are going to get!
                              Julie

Comment

Had a lok at them in Curry's/Pc world today. I was just looking (takes me ages to make up my mind) and hubby said he was planning to buy me one for Christmas. So the question is will he or won't he? I think I'll just ahve to wait and see. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the library.

Have a good bank holiday. The weather is looking a little better here - wet and not warm this morning. Tomorrow looks better. Bye for now.

Fran

Comment

Aww Fran,

thats lovely esp if your hubby does buy you one, Not sure if you have seen one in the flesh, but they dont 'glare' (the screen that is) when you take phones/laptops outsided you have a heck of a job seeing the screen. (just something to consider!) The Kindle is very user friendly and you can adjust the size of the text should you need to. if you do read alot then I can't see that you wouldnt enjoy this.. also did you realise that you can download the Kindle for PC, so you can d'lode books on your PC, once you have your Kindle then when you set it up you can transfer books that you have on your PC to your Kindle. (this is also useful as it gives you the gist of transferring/downloading) and when you get it you can also download old gardening/allotment books

enjoy the Bank Holiday...
                                  Julie

Comment

Not sure whether to hijack Ayse's thread or start a new one - but as we are talking about Kindles here goes!

Julie, you said there is a Kindle for PC application,
                                    Is it free?
                                    If I download the Kindle for PC app to my laptop, can I then download books from the Kindle store on Amazon and read them on my laptop - or is the app used just as a medium for downloading and transferring to the hand held Kindle?
                                    Elaine

Comment

Elaine,

yep its free :smilee: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.h...cId=1000423913

you can then download ANY book/PDF etc and read on your PC, I know that Tim had it on his iphone and can also read the books that he has bought and read them on his PC. (so, in short the answer is yes..lol) you have an account to which you download stuff to then you can sync them with your kindle/pc/iphone to download, you can also swap the books that you have which is 'archiving' you 'store' them on your amazon account, but the amount of times that you can transfer to read on kindle/phone etc.. is infinate, they stay as long as you want them to, they only go when you delete them!
                                      Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie. I may give it a go!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X