Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to try next? Baptism 1670's sought.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to try next? Baptism 1670's sought.

Hi all

I'm trying to look into some of my female ancestors and starting with someone who has caused me problems from day 1.

Mary Page, born c1675 (based on her headstone of 1729 stating age 54). She married in 1703 at Broughton Sulney (aka Upper Broughton), Notts and moved with her hubby to Ropsley, Lincolnshire.

I have looked on freereg and the IGI for baptism records for the name in Notts, Leics and Lincs as Sulney and Ropsley are close to the borders of the three counties but there isn't anything that jumps out. The PR doesn't give any other clues and i'm struggling to think what else to do, there are no known details for her pob, parents or sibs so what can I try to go further backwards/sideways?
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 21-08-11, 14:17.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Mary Page, born c1765 (based on her headstone of 1729 stating age 54).
    erm is something wrong there Glen?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Meant 1675 Miss Smartypants !!!:p, had my fingers crossed hoping for an answer while typing. Now edited
      Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 21-08-11, 14:19.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
        1675, had my fingers crossed hoping for an answer while typing.
        LOL!! you might need to adjust your header post then in that case! (hides) :p
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hehe, this editing my post after you quote me is a hoot. Not sure why I would need to edit the header post, 1675 is in the 1670's isn't it?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen, this baptism is in Rauceby, which isn't too far away.
            However, the date is about 4 years out.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Where is she buried?

We have been to Ropsley and have photos of the graveyard. OH's 3x great grandparents are buried there. Their gravestone has gone but there is a gap where it should be and their son's gravestone, which was earlier (1836) still stands. It is beautifully done in slate and in very good condition.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hi Elizabeth

She is buried at Ropsley, the stone (and the one to her hubby) are by the foot of the church wall as you approach the porch from the main street in the village, both are still legible and in my flickr set, her stone is in the foreground

Goulson burial by Glen TK2, on Flickr

I'm not sure if it would have been slightly larger as the left edge is either missing or sitting slightly under the turf judging by the inscription

The Goulson family seemed to use a naming pattern of sorts, names from earlier generations were used but not in a strict order, neither Christopher or Brdigette (by any spellings) appear later in the family, then again hubby to Mary was Benjamin c1677 and I haven't found a baptism for him yet either, although the marriage record is in the spelling of Gulson all their children are baptised as Goulson. There are a couple of other burials there too, both now unmarked, one for a Catherine/Katherine at the same timeframe as the baptisms i'm seeking, whether she is connected or not I couldn't say.

The Page family are a mystery, nothing other than the marriage, children and burial for Mary are known.
              Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 22-08-11, 08:13.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Just to head down the Goulson route a moment, i'm always looking at the following baptism, the name of mum doesn't carry forward but dad has a name that carries through to the 1950's and appears in every generation

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

That couple had several children who have names that continue forwards, perhaps a clue?

Joseph bapt, 10 Oct 1675
                William bapt 29 Jan 1681
                Thomas bapt 23 Dec 1677
                Mary bapt 23 Sep 1683
                Also an Anthony but that name isn't in my tree

In the same parish at the same time is another couple, William and Anne, again they have a girl called Mary and Ann, a son called William and a son called Charles (though my only other Charles is late 1800's).
                Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 22-08-11, 08:41.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen, I'll keep looking for your Mary Page when I do my Lincolnshire research.

The gravestones at Ropsley are fantastic. OH's family are buried in the section as you enter - mainly grass and few gravestones. Two paths converge on the church and the graves are as you enter between the two. Only the stone of Joseph Newton survives. Buried 1836 aged 17. His parents died in 1839 and 1855 respectively, first John Newton then Isabelle, and was beside his, but it has gone now.

The Newton family were at Braceby, just a stone's throw away, and the grave of Thomas and Ann Newton (John's parents) still stands there.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks, i'd really like to put something into that branch, it's been barren for five long years and I must be missing some contacts somewhere who have information.

I'm not sure what year but relating to Ropsley,it is recorded that in this year Robert Alcock, servant to Benj Goulson died, Benjamin and his sons were connected to varied churches in the area and a descendant went on to finance some Wesleyan church building in California. The Goulson surname appears a lot in the Protestation returns in the Grantham and Colsterworth areas too but it seems that both they and the Page family landed from some unknown place..
                    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 22-08-11, 08:49.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen,

The SoG have a fiche copy of the PRs of Upper Broughton, so I looked at baptisms between 1650 and 1670, but could not see any Page entries.

Just to rule out that parish as POB for Mary.

Carol

Comment

Thanks Carol

I can't think what else to try, wherever I head with this couple they always seem to fall into the gaps in the records.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                        X