workhouse records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workhouse records

My great grandfather was born while his mother was living in a workhouse in London. I found him in a workhouse on the following 1861 census, but I can't find him 1871, How can I find out his records and why was his mother living in different workhouses for over 40 years? Also on his birth certificate his father is named as Henry but deceased but I can't find a death for him, any ideas.:(:(

can you give some more details like his and his Mothers name and rough birth year

Comment

Hi Val
      Young Henry was born 22 August 1853 at St Anne's Street Kensington Town, 1861 he was still living with his mother, Emma Morris in Kensinton nee Baker b abt 1812 Wolverhampton Staffordshire. I cant find him 1871, but his mother still in the workhouse. His father Henry Morris given as deceased on his birth certificate. emma remains in the workhouses until she dies 1895

Comment

How do you know she was in the workhouse for 40 years? Does it say what is wrong with her?

OC

Comment

Hello OC
          As well as 1861,I have found her on the 1871, 81, 91, and dying 1895, except for the 1881 census they all give her birth as 1812 and born Wolverhampton Staffordshire and working in the Laundry.
          Pat

Comment

Have you found Henry in the 1881 census - if so can you give us the reference or details?
            Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine
              Yes I have him on record from when he married 1880, but the 1881 census Ref RG11 piece 116 folio5 54, Page 48. GSU roll 1341026.
              His spouse is Maria nee Elliott. and they are living 511 Vauxhall Road, Porter occupation, father as Henry Morris and a Steward??

Comment

Can't see him at the moment under the name Henry Morris.
                There are a couple of H.M. (initials only) born c1851 Middlesex/London who are prisoners.
                Elaine

Comment

Try is age 1852 and birthplace Notting Hill address 10 Moreton Street

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    Can't see him at the moment under the name Henry Morris.
                    There are a couple of H.M. (initials only) born c1851 Middlesex/London who are prisoners.
                    Sorry, should have said ... in the 1871 census
                    Elaine

Comment

HI Elaine
                      I havent found him either for the 1871 census.
                      Pat

Comment

Working...
                      X