X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEDCOM question

Hi
    GEDOM has always been a mystery to me.
    I must have had one on my computer at some time but maybe not.
    I built up my tree on Genesreunited over several years & I think I exported it from there to FTF & Tribalpages. I deleted my tree from Genesreunited when I ceased to be a paying member.
    I have just bought FTM 2011 mainly for the 6 month’s free membership for Ancestry.
    If I want to use FTM & build a tree it means that I will have to start from scratch & this would be a mammoth task as I have researched all branches, twigs & shoots of my family.
    Is there any way I can import it to FTM either from Tribalpages or this site.
    I only have a free webpage on Tribalpages.
    Many thanks
    Moggie

It appears that you need to have a subscription to Tribalpages in order to be able to download a GEDCOM file - I am not sure what the basic fee is but I think it is around £10-£12 so if that is the only way you can get to your information it might be worthwhile.

It's not possible to download your GEDCOM from FTF. The information we take from the GEDCOM file you upload is very limited and is incorporated into a database - what we don't need is discarded,
    Elaine

Comment

Ditto what Elaine says, I paid the fee for TP in order to download a ged file and it worked out at just under £10 for the year in late Jun.

Save the file to your pc and you can then upload it to all the major tree sites and the FTF database as and when you wish. If you update anything on TP simply download the revised file and amend any other online sites you wish by uploading the revised file.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I've just logged into my Tribal Pages website (you need to login via the EDIT option) and find I have a 50% discount on an upgrade from a free site to a paid one.
        Check yours - you might just be lucky and have the same offer!
        Elaine

Comment

And forgot to mention, if you upgrade to a paid TP membership you can then add a whole lot more photographs which might be handy, I was having to become choosy but now I can add just about the entire collection if I want with the extra capacity.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Umm - gone up a bit since I last looked.
            Premium subscription is now £22 - on offer with a 50% discount to me at £11.00.
            Not sure what difference there is between the free and subscription package so might check it out!
            Elaine

Comment

Glen, am not interested in uploading images.
              What I would like is a better search facility - is it any different with a subscription?
              Elaine

Comment

Moggie, in case you haven't got a 50% offer on the premium package, there is also a standard subscription for £14.64
                Elaine

Comment

Hi
                  Thanks everyone for your replies. I did wonder if having a paid sub to Tribalpages might allow me to import my tree to FTM. But it would nearly cancel out the saving that I have made on the 6 months Ancestry sub. But I will go & have a look at TP to see what is on offer for me.
                  Thanks
                  Moggie

Comment

Hi Elaine
                    I've just done what you suggested, go in through the EDIT option & they are offering me up to 25% discount which equates to £12-19.I think I will look in from time to time to see if they have upped their discount to me.
                    Moggie

Comment

ooh Moggie,

if you have your tree on ancestry you can download a GEDCOM from there to upload to FTF
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie
                        Unfortunately I don't have a tree on Ancestry.
                        Moggie

Comment

thats a bit of a pain then, seems to me you have a choice, you either stump up the mooler and go with TP just to download your tree or you manually add people into Ancestry to be able to download tree from there, so, is the lesser of two evils.. either way once you have your gedcom you can then add it to FTM/FTF/Anywhere.
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                            Glen, am not interested in uploading images.
                            What I would like is a better search facility - is it any different with a subscription?
                            There isn't any difference that I can make out for searching within your own (or other) trees.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

That's a shame Glen because I find the search methods on TP very poor indeed!
                              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                That's a shame Glen because I find the search methods on TP very poor indeed!

I always find the alphabetical search handy for the large families but when you try and look for a spouse it's a nightmare, I must have 30 Goulson grooms who married a bride called Mary, it's almost impossible to remember who married who and the search doesn't help at all.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

When you are searching on other people's trees this is the search box you get - very minimal - is it the same on paid subs?

TP search.jpg
                                  Elaine

Comment

Looks like an ancestry search to me rather than a TP one whenever I see it but it's the same on a paid site.
                                    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 20-08-11, 14:47.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

lol .. definitely a TP one!
                                      So as a paid member what do you get as a search box - can you do a screenshot?
                                      Elaine

Comment

Exactly the same search box as in your post Elaine.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                        X