Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elusive Great Grandfather

Hi
    I am trying to find any info on my Great Grandfather Robert Wilson Draper.
    I have his birth 2 May 1872 Brandon,Suffolk.Marries Gertrude Mary Blake 19 April 1897 Reading.He then has 8 children with Gertrude,the last being born Jul-Sep 1909.I have Gertrude on 1911 census but no Robert,Gertrude listed as married & head of family.I can find no death for Robert after 1908.
    I have had this posted on RootsChat for awhile with no replies.
    Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul
    Last edited by PaulD1960; 19-08-11, 17:17.

hello Paul,

welcome to the forum, thats an unusual middle name there, Wison, presumably its a maiden name from way back?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie, I think it should be Robert Wilson Draper, having found Paul's thread on Rootschat!
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Julie & Elaine
        Yes his middle name is Wilson,from his father Robert Wilson who never married his mother Susan Draper(maiden name Tabraham).
        Sorry for the typo have edited post
        Paul
        Last edited by PaulD1960; 19-08-11, 17:18.

Comment

ah yes, (why didnt I think of that?) but upon looking on Ancestry I have found Pauls tree, so feel abit of a wally now...lol
          Julie

Comment

Paul,

do you have the last childs birth certificate? and does it state whether the father is dec'd or not?
            Julie

Comment

What is his occupation on the 1901 census

Have you tried searching the 1911 census using just his initials?
              The reason I ask is that there is a person with the initials R D in an institution in Headington, with a birth year of 1873.
              According to the free search on Genes Reunited his place of birth is given as Cavensham, Oxon. I realise this was not his place of birth but it was where Gertrude was living in 1911. Can you match or eliminate him by occupation?
              Elaine

Comment

Hi Julie
                Sorry I don't have last childs birth cert.

Elaine
                Here is the 1901 census.http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/...ln=Draper&st=g
                You will see he is listed on here as being born in Hereford !!!!
                I have his birth certificate & he is definitely from Brandon.

His occupation looks like Stencil plate labourer.
                That R D Draper looks interesting as there is death listed on Ancestry in Apr 1911 in Headington.
                I don't have access to 1911 census at present,can anyone look at it for me and see what kind of institution he is in on th 1911 census.
                Might have to order death cert for Headington when funds allow

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by PaulD1960 View Post
                  His occupation looks like Stencil plate labourer.
                  ? Paint Stencil plate labourer
                  Elaine

Comment

The Robert Draper death in 1911 certainly looks promising if the RD in the 1911 census is your man.
                    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine
                      Thanks for input,I have tried putting R D Draper into search on Genes Reunited but nothing comes up.
                      I would like to see what institution he is in.
                      Regarding his occupation (Paint/stencil plate labourer), have always believed this was work at the Huntley & Palmers biscuit factory in Reading.
                      Paul

Comment

I have tried putting R D Draper into search on Genes Reunited but nothing comes up.
                        He is only recorded as R.D. (born 1873) - not R D Draper
                        .. but I don't think you will get the address from Genes Reunited. You need Findmypast or the official 1911 website.
                        Elaine

Comment

The 1911 info for R D is aged 38, married, and a painter. It's Oxford County Asylum at Headington.

scuda
                          Last edited by scuda; 19-08-11, 19:16.
                          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thanks for the info Scuda.doesnt really prove one way or other.Will order death certificate for Headington Robert when funds allow.
                            Wonder if anyone can halp me fill in a gap,I cannot find Robert in 1891 census.
                            Thanks
                            Paul

Comment

Ok,I now have death certificate for Robert Draper,died 17 April 1911 at Oxford County Lunatic Asylum.
                              Occupation listed as Painter (Journeyman) formerly of Henley Union Workhouse,Henley on Thames. Age 39.
                              Still not sure if this is my man.Henley workhouse could be right as Caversham parish came within the Henley Workhouse area.However if he was in the workhouse,this doesn't explain how Gertrude is listed as a housewife and managing to bring up 7 children on her own.
                              Any thoughts as to whether you think is the right man or not or how I could prove one way or the other.

Paul

Comment

Who was the informant on the death cert? It certainly sounds as if it is him, everything fits and there don't appear to be any other candidates.

As to how his wife was managing without his wage, well maybe some of her children were working, she was working, family was helping out, receiving parish relief - there are endless possibilities really.

OC

Comment

OC,the informant is the medical superintendent.I agree that there don't appear to be any other candidates,it's just that I always err on the side of caution,sometimes too much !!!
                                  Paul

Comment

Yes, I understand and approve your caution, lol! I wonder if any records remain for the asylum? What was the cause of death?

OC

Comment

OC
                                      The cause of death is given as General Paresis,duration unknown.I have looked this up and the definition is "General paresis is an impairment of mental function caused by damage to the brain from untreated syphilis.".
                                      Sounds pretty horrific.
                                      Will look into see if there are any records for asylum or workhouse.I am thinking the workhouse would probably be the most likely to give me proof.
                                      If anybody could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.
                                      Thanks
                                      Paul

Comment

Oh dear I had a horrible feeling that's what it would be - it was actually very common if that's any comfort to you.

I cannot help with workhouse records, but have you googled?

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X