Disappearing relatives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing relatives.

I have located a brother of my husband's grandfather in the 1901 UK Census. I have found a gravestone for him in Edmonton Jewish Cemetery in London, and have found his death record in the GRO index. (Have not received the actual certificate yet.) However, although the 1901 census shows him, his wife and six children in 1901 I cannot find another reference to any of them. They came originally from Warsaw, Poland and probably had very strong accents, so the spellings would be iffy. I've tried various spellings in searches, but no luck so far. Can anyone advise me?

What do you hope to find? Census before 1901? After 1901?

And, of course, his name and other identifiers?

Comment

well you know where the family is from, thats excellent. do you know roughly when they came to england? that will help with finding which census your after.

Comment

put their name on here someone will probably find them

Comment

Incidentally, if you're after info about Jewish research, there's some info under History in the FTF Reference Library.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I owe everyone an apology. I found him again in the 1911 census. His name is Morris Sandground. He came to England after 1891, since the children born before 1891 were born in Warsaw, Poland, and those born after 1891 were born in London, in St. Marylebone, where they were living in 1901. In 1911 they were living in Spitalfields. On the 1901 census his wife was Fanse. In the 1911 census it was Fany. In 1901 he had six children, Batsy, Sairhe, Doria, Harei, Eme (or Erne) and Kaitte. In the 1911 census only four children were listed, Dora, Harry, Annie and Kaite. Assuming Annie was Eme, two children are missing, Sairhe and Batsy. Interestingly, the two missing children were the ones born in Poland.

Again according to the family, a daughter, Sarah (presumably "Sairhe" in 1901) married and had two children. There was a rift in the family, presumably, and apart from the fact that they knew of Katie, they knew nothing else. I presume the son identified on his gravestone was Harry. I'm going to start looking for Harry and the other children; maybe I'll get lucky, but any suggestions will be welcome. I am really searching for his descendants.

Comment

Thanks, Christine! As before, excellent advice. I'll take a look.

Comment

Thanks for the post. See my reply below - I found him in 1911 with anglicised names and a reduced family. Now I'm looking for descendants!

Comment

Since the two older girls were in their 20's in 1911 it is not surprising that they were not at home. They may have married (try FreeBMD with wild characters) or be in service somewhere (in which case they should be elsewhere in the census under some spelling or other)
                  People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                  Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

That's a good idea! I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Fanny, wife of Morris Sandground, is buried at Edmonton..3rd Jan 1931, aged 60. Not sure if you have this info.

Comment

Sarah married in 1909:
                        Marriages Sep 1909
                        FALK Annie Whitechapel 1c 465
                        OUSPETTER Isaac Whitechapel 1c 465
                        RABINOVITZ Isaac Whitechapel 1c 465
                        SANDGROUND Sarah Whitechapel 1c 465
                        Betsy in 1906
                        Marriages Dec 1906
                        BOND Max Whitechapel 1c 468
                        SANDGROUND Betsy Whitechapel 1c 468
                        SOLOMONS Joseph Whitechapel 1c 468
                        Weiner Sarah Whitechapel 1c 468

There are Solomons and Sandground births..the ones showing the mothers maiden name begin with Alfred A, Mile End, Dec 1911, Godfrey, Whitechapel, June 1913, Edward G, Whitechapel, June, 1914 and two further males which can't be named on here in case they are living, one June, 1916 and one Sept, 1918. If you look at FreeBMD and put in Sandground for the mother, you'll see them. There is a Rabinowitch and Sandground birth in 1922. Might poss be a bit late though. There are marriages for a Dora and a Dolly as well as Annie (Eme??)...http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
                        Last edited by naomiatt; 24-08-11, 03:51.

Comment

Gillian
                          Have you noticed that according to 1911 census, they had 10 children, of which only 6 were still living?
                          Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

No, I didn't. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Yes, I had subsequently found this information. "Eme" from the 1901 census turns out to have been Annie. I found the Sarah and Betsy marriages also. I'll check up on some of the others. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Hi Gillian B, there is info about a Black family in my post called Miriam, 1901...

Comment

How do I locate that post, please?

Comment

Took your advice. Ordered marriage certificates for Betsy and she in fact married Joseph SOLOMONS. Also ordered Sarah marriage certificate. She married the RABINOVITZ. They were the daughters I was looking for. Thanks so much for the tip!

Comment

The topic is called Miriam, 1901, if you click to the forum you'll see it there...or, you can click on my name and see my posts and come in that way..

Comment

That's great you've found them, I also have Rabinovitz, what was the name of Isaac's father? I'm missing a brother of my ggf..

Comment

Working...
                                        X