Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from me

New here so a Hi to everyone.

Not sure where to start but my biggest query is has anyone and information on the Greenway family who were fairground travelers in the late 1800s and into the 1900s

As far as I know they traveled parts of London and Essex. Great Grandfather Albert was married to Sarah. They had several children. One was Rose Emily who's marriage took place at Loughton to George Nottage. They had 2 children before Rose died age 25.

Not a lot to go on but hope someone may have something to start me off.

Its the fairground side I am very interested in too.

Thanks for reading. Jonsbird

Hi Jonsbird, welcome to FTF. A couple of questions to help us help you. Do you have a date for Rose Emily's marriage and do you have access to census returns on any of the websites - Ancestry, Find My Past etc?
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

You might find this page useful from our Reference Library:

Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

rose emily greenbank born sep quarter 1876, in hackney dist, london.

rose greenway married george alfred h. nottage in epping district, essex in the dec quarter of 1898.

rose nottage died in dec qtr, 1901 at epping dist. age 26.

if you order these certs, it will give you info on the parents, and the christening record may be in the london databases on ancestry. poss the marriage of her parents too.

Comment

1891 census looks like Rose was with parents Albert and Sarah. Albert was working as a chimney sweep. If you come back and tell us what sites you have access to can give you the link to see this.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Here they are in 1911

GREENWAY, Albert Head Married M 65 1846 Traveller With Runabouts And Savings
            GREENWAY, Sarah Wife Married F 64 1847 7 children born, 6 still living
            NOTTAGE, Sarah Granddaughter F 13 1898
            RG14PN9720 RG78PN514B RD188 SD10 ED46 SN318

Registration District: West Ham Sub District: Walthamstow Enumeration District: 46 Parish: Walthamstow

Address:
            Caravan Higham Hill Road County: Essex

Comment

Rose Emily was baptised @ St Luke's Hackney 30 Jul 1876

It looks as tho' there were two other children - William Alfred 1878 and Arthur 1880.

Albert gives his occupation as Chimney Sweep each time.
              Sue

Comment

Interestingly in 1851 I can see Albert with his whole family - father William b1831 occupation nCity Police in the Hackney Union workhouse HO107; Piece: 1505; Folio: 666; Page: 3.
                Margaret

Comment

Yes, that's odd isn't it that he only mentions a connection to the fairground in 1911 - could be he took over from another relative?
                  Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                    Rose Emily was baptised @ St Luke's Hackney 30 Jul 1876

It looks as tho' there were two other children - William Alfred 1878 and Arthur 1880.

Albert gives his occupation as Chimney Sweep each time.
                    Yes, that's odd isn't it? he only mentions a connection to the fairground in 1911 - perhaps he took it the roundabouts over from a relative?

Margaret

Comment

It looks likely (or he had a mid life crisis!!)

I've just had a look at 1911. If you go to the previous image it's Albert son William with his family - also on the fairgound. For place of birth the enumeraor has written, " Unable to find out the information at the time. They were going to try and find out but when I called back they had gone" !!
                      On Albert's record it for place of birth it says "same as schedule 317" (as above) :D:D
                      Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                        It looks likely (or he had a mid life crisis!!)

I've just had a look at 1911. If you go to the previous image it's Albert son William with his family - also on the fairgound. For place of birth the enumeraor has written, " Unable to find out the information at the time. They were going to try and find out but when I called back they had gone" !!
                        On Albert's record it for place of birth it says "same as schedule 317" (as above) :D:D
                        'Curiouser and Curiouser'! they have stayed put around the east end for years and then suddenly start to move about!

I did consider the possibility we are looking at the wrong family but I don't think so. There are only 2 Albert Greenway b1845/46 and the other one is in Staffordshire all the while.

Margaret

Comment

There's a possible death for Albert in 1912, 1st qtr, West Ham, vol 4a, p 9.

It would be interesting to know what they put on his death certificate...
                          Sue

Comment

There are several trees on Ancestry with Albert and Rose Emily on which go back another generation. If you have Ancestry membership you could try to contact the owners to see if they have any other information.
                            Sue

Comment

Thank you all so much. I'm busy at the mo but will be back later today to re read and update with what I know.

You are so kind. Bless you Jonsbird x

Comment

This fairground Carousel was once owned by Albert Greenaway and is listed as the first previous owner

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                                  http://www.masonsfunfair.com/Gallopers.html

This fairground Carousel was once owned by Albert Greenaway and is listed as the first previous owner

Edna
                                  What a brilliant find Edna - well done !!

Comment

Wow, great find! I wonder if he came into money to be able to buy something like that? He was only a chimney sweep....
                                    Sue

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                                      http://www.masonsfunfair.com/Gallopers.html

Edna
                                      thanks for this link Edna, have added it to our Reference Library.
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

http://www.tewkesburyfairsociety.co.uk/about.html This may be of interest and not checked the other links shown in this link but worth a look up

This link refers to it giving earlier dates when it visited Liverpool in 2008 for the Capitol of Culture year http://www.albertdock.com/index.php?page_id=1515

Hope this also helps

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                        X