Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you confirm this says what its been transcribed as ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you confirm this says what its been transcribed as ?

wont say what in case it misleads , Thanks
    Should have said its by a Seamans name on a census recordwilliam knight.JPG

The nearest I can get is LJ or L & a curly I or L9 Sea or Lea

Comment

Might it stand for "Leading ??? Seaman" or something ?

Comment

thanks ,they have transcribed it as La Sears??

Comment

Could stand for Seaman,Seas.ie a seaman who goes long distances as opposed to those who stay close to land.Have seen Seaman(seas) on census records

Comment

thanks Fran for that idea

Comment

At sea perhaps?

Comment

Val do you have the link to the whole page please, the image is very tiny, though I do think that it does begin with 'S' and Sea
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by c2ute View Post
                  At sea perhaps?
                  I thought of "at sea", too, & thought what I see as an "L" could stand for "lost at sea". But that doesn't really make sense if he was on the census/you know he was alive after this date. Unless, at this point, they thought he was lost/thought he might be (unlikely, I guess.) In the unlikely event that it's LJ (or I) Lea, could this have been the captain of the ship ? (no, think that's stupid)

Comment

Certainly looks like L at sea which could translate to lost at sea, but as everyone else says if he is lost at sea he would or should not be on the census, because he is not at the house in any case when the census is taken, so that does not make sense. The squiggles after sea probably mean something as well.

Found on Wikipedia
                    Leading Seaman (LS or L/S) is a junior non-commissioned rank or rate in navies, particularly those of the Commonwealth.

So the squiggle after L could be a g meaning Leading, then sea with a squiggle which might mean ...sea(man)

"By a seaman's name on a census record". So is that a ship census which could explain the lost at sea? If census taken on a ship then he most probably should have been there?

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 18-08-11, 18:00.

Comment

Think yours is the most likely explanation, Janet. Another possibility is "location at sea" but I don't think that rings true somehow

Comment

After everyone else's hard work... I suspect that the first bit is "Lg" = "Leading".

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks everyone sorry had to go out , I have been trying to find that census record again and so far no luck ??????????? will have another look

Comment

this is the census in 1881 its William Knight I am looking atWilliam Knight 1881Census-RS00010241-4362812_00606 (1).jpg

Comment

I have found another record in 1881 but this one is for a William T Knight, (and this time I have posted this on the right thread..lol)

Julie

Comment

oh thanks Julie but he was born in the wrong place ??? thanks for looking

Comment

i cant find that other census 1881 you posted Val, and I cant read it cos its too small (sorry)
                                  Julie

Comment

this is it Julie

that says Lg Seam not quite the same as FMP
                                    Last edited by Guest; 18-08-11, 20:33.

Comment

ahh I see now... and comparing the letters with others i'd say it begins with a 'L' too.. (after all that!!) :smilee:
                                      Julie

Comment

I feel like throwing the towel in and giving up this research lark lately? seem to have lots of Brickwalls ? Thanks Julie .

Comment

Working...
                                        X