Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

geni family tree website - have you any experience of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geni family tree website - have you any experience of it?

Some time ago, my nephew, as part of school project, put our family tree on the geni website.

They are offering a 2 week free trial and I would like to use it to check out matches. Anyone had any experience before I give them my card details?

Thanks.
    Liz

he didnt need to pay to put the tree up? is it like ancestry? with credits or do you have a sub?

Comment

Liz

I had never heard of it so just had a look. Have a read of this before you decide

Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

kyle - I don't really know about the set up. My nephew is named as the manager of the tree and then he invites people to add to the tree, which I did, providing most of it. He wouldn't have paid anything and I suspect the school didn't.

If you google genie family tree, it will tell you about it. They have a cookie on my puter so can't give you a link without it revealing my name et. Think it is free.
        Liz

Comment

Lynne - interesting. I have put on a huge tree going back many generations.My nephew hasn't said it is a problem and I don't think he will be asked to upgrade. Wonder if it was done via the school. I don't like the format and can't recommend it. It is just that it brought up a lot of matches. Think I will forego it...
          Liz

Comment

Liz

Having read a few more posts in the discussions, I don't think I will be bothering either. People are complaing about the charges and they seem to be mostly Americans.
            Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Thanks Lynne for taking the time to look into it more. It is time I got my courage up and transferred my GEDCOM.
              Liz

Comment

Liz, if you are looking for somewhere to post your tree online, have you looked at Tribal Pages?
                There is a free option so no need to pay if you don't want to. (I use the free version!)
                You can make the tree private if you wish and senf invites to anyone who you wish to give access to.

Build your Free Family Tree website easily and effortlessly
                Elaine

Comment

Elaine - thanks for the link. Can you just upload your Family Tree Maker GEDCOM onto there?

Yes I can, just looked at website...
                  Liz

Comment

Following a link on Tribal pages about family tree sites, they say this about geni.com:

Free for basic version

This social networking site's primary focus is connecting family, allowing you to easily create a family tree and invite other family members to join you. Each individual in the tree has a profile; family members can work together to build profiles for common ancestors. Other features include a Family Calender, an editable Family Timeline and a Family News feature which highlights new additions and upcoming events from sites within a user's Family Group. All of the basic functions are completely free, although they do offer a pro version with extra tools.
                    Liz

Comment

I would suggest that anyone wishing to post their family tree on the internet first use the free webspace supplied by their ISP.
                      Most ISPs provide at least some webspace free of charge.
                      The advantage of this is one has complete control of the website and may add or remove information at any time.

If one requires more webspace for family history there is unlimited free space on the rootsweb servers at

The advantage of this is again one has complete control of the site, unlike many of the "free" sites.
                      Cheers
                      Guy
                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I am on TP too for the free tree space but so is a friend who has a large tree and she tried to export a gedcom file but it would not allow her to do this so she has had to type it all into Ancestry herself so be warned you can not export it from the free site and have to pay to do it.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                        X