Scott = Canonbie in mid 1850's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott = Canonbie in mid 1850's

I am trying to fine out marriage? and death information for Mary Scott who was Christened 1st November 1829. In 1841 she was living with her parents, George Scott, a blacksmith, and his wife Ann Hogg. They lived in Hollows. In 1851, Mary was working as a servant for A family called Blyth. James Blyth was a farmer at Borthwickshiels Farm in Roberton, Selkirkshire. In 1852, Mary became pregnant by Walter Blyth, James Blyth's eldest son. The child was born 12th January 1853 in Canonbie, and was called George. It seems that George was brought up by his grandparents, and he changed his name to Scott prior to his marriage to Ellen Balmer in January 1889. By 1861, Mary was working as a Nursery Maid for John Connel and his wife in High Street, Langholm. John Connel was a distiller. This is the last information I can find for Mary.
    Mary's sister Jane was also living at home in 1841. She gave birth to Georgina Nichol in 1850. Georgina's father was William Nicholl. In 1853, Ann gave birth to Jane Wylie. Her father was John Wylie. Both Georgina and Jane were brought up by their grandparents. Georgina married Robert Graham in Canonbie on 25th Feb 1870. I have been unable to find any further information concerning Ann Scott after the 1851 census.
    Any help anyone can give will be very much appreciated

That sounds as if a lot of your research is going to be located in Scotland... which usually means ScotlandsPeople - a pay-as-you-go site.

There are some Scottish records on FamilySearch - including some post1861 records for a marriage for a Mary SCOTT in Dumfriesshire - but no burials,as far as I can see.

On the other hand, there's a free site with Scottish burial records ... I'll go and have a look. I think it was this one [http://gravestonephotos.com/], but I can't see the records you'd want there yet.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 17-08-11, 18:59.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine.
      Thanks for your reply. I am a regular user of Scotlands People, and have got quite a lot from the site, but I seem to have reached a dead end with the info I need at present. Never mind. Very often after weeks of searching we come across something which opens a lot of doors. Maybe I will again. Thanks again for replying.
      Regards
      Gordon

Comment

Gordon

For what it is worth I have some Wyllie/Wylie and Nicholl/Nichol ancestors coming from Tulliallan and Culross Perth, at least Perth until about 1890, but Fife now. I cannot relate to John Wylie or a Jane Wylie but if you look on SP and look at the Tulliallan and Culross Baptisms and Marriages you may be in luck, but be wary there are several Wyllie/Wylie and Nicholl familes around these areas, who may or may not be related. Also if you google Tulliallan/Culross you may find a lot of interest. I presume you have tried Family Search? My ancestors are in these areas in the 1600 and 1700's.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 18-08-11, 14:41.

Comment

Gordon,
          Have you tried this site. It has a number of church graveyards in the Dumfries area listed with some MI's recorded. The one for Canonbie has a few Hoggs . http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...criptions.html

Matt
          My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Working...
          X