Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

baptism record --surname mistranscribed ?? Where do I go from here ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baptism record --surname mistranscribed ?? Where do I go from here ?

I found a baptism record for Edward Harry Belshaus in May 1880 at Altrincham Cheshire on the new familysearch site. I believe this is my Edward Harry Bellhouse but his surname has been mistranscribed. My Edward Harry was born in February 1880 as I have his birth certificate. Does anyone know if the baptism might also be on any other research sites? I was hoping the name might have been correctly transcribed on another site.

Also his certificate shows no father's name but the baptism says father was Robert !! Any ideas on where I go from here would be very welcome.

As always ,thanks for looking

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Hi Liz
    This baptism is on the pilot site Edward Harry Belhouse parents Robert & Elizabeth Belhouse
    bap 9th May 1880 Altrincham St John
    Moggie

Comment

I'm not certain what you're asking? Are you trying to be certain that the familysearch record is that of your ancestor's, but you don't think it is because of the misspelling? If so, perhaps you need a copy of the parish record so you can decide for yourself?

However, it may be misspelled on the parish record? Even misspelling may not be the correct term! One thing I've concluded during my research: ancestors were not as picky about spelling as I am. One person at the library told me that they had a document written by an ancestor where the ancestor wrote his own name four different times, each with a different spelling. One must be flexible.

Comment

the only way to be sure would be to look at the original register, it is quite possible that the name has been mis-spelled, there could be a number of things that have gone wrong, people used to spell names how they heard them and if people had an accent that could effect the way it was written. a friend of mine was talking about how his aunt was tracing the family and the surname wasnt quite the norm, he insisted though that ONLY the people with the spelling of HOLTAM would be the correct ones.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

so you have an illegitimate child's birth cert and you want to know if the christening is for the same child? do you know of nay other siblings for this child? maybe they will help tie things in?

Comment

thanks Moggie,Photofamily and Julie. Thanks Moggie I only looked on the new search and didn't think to check the pilot site. So on there it is Bellhouse so looks as if Elizabeth named the father at the baptism ! I haven't found another Edward Harry Bellhouse born 1880 Altrincham so I reckon he's mine. Also can't find a Robert Bellhouse marriage to fit so again I think Elizabeth either named the father or gave a name for the benefit of the vicar!!?

I know what you mean about spellings Julie ,some of the ones I've come across have been very odd !

Photofamily ,what I was trying to do was find a baptism for Edward as I was fairly sure he would have been baptised even though he was illegitimate. In the past I've found that some vicars wrote notes on the entry and was hoping I might have got a bit more info or at least an indication that this was my Edward.

Thanks all for your help

Liz

Comment

Hi Kyle

this child was born in 1880 and Elizabeth was unmarried. When Elizabeth married in 1888, as far as I know ,her husband knew nothing of the child nor did their 3 children . Edward lived with Elizabeth's older sister and her husband (1891) and on his ww1 service papers he gives as next of kin Elizabeth Bellhouse,mother,but that is crossed out and his Aunts name is put in . This does show HE knew who his mother was,where she lived but not her married name.

One of my great aunts ,Elizabeth's daughter,lived to be 98 and spoke alot about the family but I'm certain she knew nothing of her half brother.

Liz

Comment

hmmm how interesting. i have an illegitimate 2nd great grandmother. like yours, her birth was in the mothers anme, with no father. but i found her christening at 17, and her marriage cert also lists her father on it. but i know nothing of him.

i guess by 1880 they would have no need to find out who the father was? like in parish bonds? what are they called? bastardy bonds?

Comment

Yes it is intriguing Kyle especially as Elizabeth had a cousin called Robert but it seems that he was already in Australia by the time of his marriage in 1878 so I doubt if he's the father ??? He married an Anne Reeve,had children but died in 1884 also in Australia.

I can't find a marriage in England for a Robert Bellhouse to an Elizabeth before 1880 and anyway I'm 99.9 percent sure that the baptism in May 1880 at St John's church Altrincham is that of my boy ! Coincidentally Elizabeth's marriage in 1888 was at the same church !! I wonder how she felt ? Was her son there with his aunt ??

Liz

Comment

Liz,

I have my maternal grandmother, born out of wedlock, the baptism record states name/occ of the father then this is crossed out and single woman added in, but 6 months later she did marry the father.
                    Julie

Comment

I tend to believe what was written in a church register because I'm sure that the fear of God would prevent all but the most hardened trollop from lying about the father of her child in church.

Unfortunately, the same fear doesn't appear to have extended to Registrars - I know that at least two of my relatives lied through their teeth about the parentage of a child.

OC

Comment

such a way with words OC, but very true.. the fear of God, jeez...
                        Julie

Comment

thanks Julie and OC

I did wonder if the naming of the father at the child's baptism was the one to believe because I can't imagine her just plucking a name out of the air?! Also surely the vicar would know the family anyway as the church was but a stones throw from where they lived ! Now my big problem is if I can find out who this Robert Bellhouse is ? I was hoping I might find him on the 1881 census but no luck so far.

Liz

Comment

if she wasnt married when she had Edward then why on the bapt does it say Robert & Elizabeth Bellhouse? :conf: dont you think that its a bit odd that she named the child Edward Harry? and not Robert after the dad?
                            Julie

Comment

You have spotted that there were two Edward Bellhouses born in the same quarter, both in Altrincham? Different middle names, but even so.....

OC

Comment

Oh, now that is interesting because on Cheshirebmd, there is only ONE Edward Bellhouse listed. As the two were only a couple of pages apart on Freebmd I would expect both of them to appear on Cheshirebmd. I wonder if the records are for the same child?

OC

Comment

'Hi Liz
                                  I have a similar baptism in my family.
                                  1832 Mary Ann, parents Mary Ann & James Limmer occ mariner at Wivenhoe Essex
                                  I had researched the Limmer family thoroughly at Wivenhoe & I didn’t have a clue who James Limmer was. In the records office I found documents for two voluntary examinations of a Mary Limmer in 1832 at Wivenhoe. The first examination was before her baby was born & the second after the birth. Both naming the father as James Coote mariner. These were instigated by the Overseers because Mary (mother) had become dependent on parish relief .
                                  Wivenhoe was a small fishing village & the Limmers had lived there then for about 40 years so the vicar would have known the family. Mary Ann did go on to marry James Coote 5 years later.
                                  Your Elizabeth may not have found herself in the same situation as my Mary Ann if she was able to support herself & her son.
                                  I think you have to consider that Edward's father may have been a Robert but not a Robert Bellhouse.
                                  Moggie

Comment

Edward in 1881:

1881 Census
                                    BELLHOUSE, Edward H
                                    ALTRINCHAM, Cheshire
                                    RG11 piece 3503 folio 47 page 22

Harriet Bellhouse Head Widow 50 Upholstress Cheadle Cheshire
                                    Elizabeth Bellhouse Daughter Single 24 Upholstress Altrincham Cheshire
                                    Emma Bellhouse Daughter Single 22 Cabinet makers shopwoman Altrincham Cheshire
                                    Harry W Bellhouse Son Single 19 Corn warehouseman Altrincham Cheshire
                                    John E Bellhouse Son Single 12 Scholar Timperley Cheshire
                                    Harriet Bellhouse Daughter Single 10 Scholar Altrincham Cheshire
                                    George H Bellhouse Son Single 8 Scholar Altrincham Cheshire
                                    Edward H Bellhouse Son Single 1 Altrincham Cheshire

It doesn't say whose son Edward is.
                                    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 18-08-11, 08:30.
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:
                                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

ahh I now see where Harry comes into it.. her brother, wonder if Edward was her dad then?

edit to say: is looking like her father was Edward.

1861: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1861&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2589; Folio: 80; Page: 27; GSU roll: 542995.
                                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 18-08-11, 10:21.
                                      Julie

Comment

Elizabeth (or anyone else, lol) can you see another Edward Bellhouse of exactly the same age, in 1881, please (Middle initial might be L).

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X