Name help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name help needed

Ancestry have wonderfully added West Yorkshire archives to their site and I'm having a field day with all the info. I have, however, come a bit stuck with a marriage record. The marriage is between John Russel and Sarah Jubb.

I can read Sarah's father's name ok, but John's it too difficult to read. The writing isn't that great and it's quite faint.
    Marriage-JohnRussell1847-crop.jpg

I've cropped it but if you need more, I can post the rest.
    Tracy

Tracy,

do the witness names help at all? or where the bride signs her maiden name?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi

It seems to end with "as", and consequently I've been trying to make it into Thomas. Also, if you hadn't already said that the surname was Russel(l), I wouldn't have been able to see it.
      Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

No, though one is Martha Russell who could be John's sister. I can't find them in 1841 though as there are loads.

Thanks SmallTownGirl. I looked at it from a distance and thought Thomas too, but when I look close up, it looks like it starts with a H.
        Tracy

Comment

Umm ... you need to look at Mandy's page on Facebook! Have just been struggling with this!
          Elaine

Comment

Don't suppose there are any other "Th"s on the page that we could use to compare?
            Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

It looks remarkably like Thomas to me!

OC

Comment

Jane Smith who married the previous week had a father Thomas.
                I think this is Thomas too.

Gwyn

Comment

i'd go with Thomas yes, but, the surname, well is another matter.. Tracy, do you have a high res scan of the cert? that we can look at?
                  Julie

Comment

an even better idea, is to post the link to the bit on ancestry.. :smilee: (copy url into this thread, to link it directly)
                    Julie

Comment

Just to fill you in, Tracey has now found the marriage of John's sister Martha, and the father is shown as Thomas.

Tracey,
                      could these be baptisms for John's siblings (source IGI) - parents shown as Thomas & Sarah

MARY RUSSEL
                      Christening: 03 APR 1825 Batley, Yorkshire, England
                      HANNAH RUSSELL
                      Christening: 30 MAR 1823 Batley, Yorkshire, England
                      MARTHA RUSSEL
                      Christening: 17 FEB 1828 Batley, Yorkshire, England
                      WILLIAM RUSSEL
                      Christening: 11 APR 1830 Batley, Yorkshire, England
                      ELIZA RUSSEL
                      Christening: 05 JUL 1835 Batley, Yorkshire, England

- with this as the 1841 census
                      Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

HO107; Piece 1345; Book: 4; Civil Parish: Hunslet Ward; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 5; Page: 3; Line: 22;
                      - with the ages of some of the children being rounded down.
                      Elaine

Comment

Here you go, for those with Ancestry: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=18283966

I'm hoping the surname is also Russell or that will create a whole other problem lol

Thanks again Elaine. That does look like it's the right ones.

I'm a little confused by the marriages. Is it normal for people to put their maiden names when they act as witnesses for their siblings?

Martha's marriage for ref: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=18283928
                        Last edited by Orangeblossom; 16-08-11, 16:50.
                        Tracy

Comment

dont matter I have found it, oohher Hisham Russell???? mmm someone should've gone to specsavers..lol!
                          Julie

Comment

Have located John's baptism in 1821. It's in a Leeds church which makes sense. Think you've cracked it
                            Tracy

Comment

snap Elaine.. just found them on the 41

Julie

Comment

His name is Hisham Russell, I have just found this on Ancestry, perhaps someone can get in to Ancestry as at the moment my subscription has run out.

Marriage of
                                Name: John Russell
                                Spouse: Sarah Jubb
                                Father: Hisham Russell
                                Birth: year
                                Marriage: date - city, Yorkshire, England

Comment

Sorry, but his name is Thomas. Hisham is a mistranscription by Ancestry. Possibly mistranscribed by the same person who turned my John Holden into Iolo Ololohu!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    Sorry, but his name is Thomas. Hisham is a mistranscription by Ancestry. Possibly mistranscribed by the same person who turned my John Holden into Iolo Ololohu!

OC
                                    pmsl!! oh dear OC what a doozy!!! (I know I shouldnt laugh, but it makes you wonder just how much 'training' or 'samples' these transcribers actually got!)
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                      pmsl!! oh dear OC what a doozy!!! (I know I shouldnt laugh, but it makes you wonder just how much 'training' or 'samples' these transcribers actually got!)
                                      There are some mysterious mistranscriptions to say the least...but that is a very strange one....
                                      Craig

Comment

~~~~ to Craig
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X