No announcement yet.

french ancestors (FRENCH-reader needed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• french ancestors (FRENCH-reader needed)

hi,

im looking at french families from finistere province in brittany. i have found this site, seemingly for the historical society?

i know it has indexes for the towns in this province, seems to have transcripts, and i think it is credit based? has anyone used this site? or can anyone speak french or understand enough to help me out with how to use the site?

help is most appreciated!!

kyle
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 17-08-11, 16:42.

There are proper French speakers / students on FTF, but I can make a tourist+ estimate of meaning (based on a good O-level, and subsequent holiday use).

It might be easier if we knew what you were hoping for?

The Finisterre Genealogical Centre appears to offer a database of 7,295,429 BDM events from the Département of Finisterre.

The green words near the bottom, "Les sites complémentaires ", refers to free sites.

There's a downloadable pdf which is a complete catalogue of what's available on the CGF databases. [Que contient la base RECIF ? catalogue complet (format pdf)]
    There's info about how the sites work: [Recif-Net, Bagad-Net, Généabank : comment ça marche ?]
    There are opportunities to add to the databases: [Aidez nous à enrichir la base Recif ou la base Bagad]

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

well ive found record matches in searches for BMD's, but once you have the list, then it seems to be you buy credits? and if you by credits, what are you getting? a transcript? the site wont automatically translate from french, so it is difficult to learn how it works, and if the value is good also.

Comment

Ah. I hadn't looked that far into it.

Would you like one of us to alter your thread-header to indicate that you need help from a proper French-speaker?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

if you think it will help christine, go for it. i dont mind paying for some credits, i have some trees going back to the 16th century in this part of the world, so it would be worth it! im just unsure if it works like ancestry say, where you buy credits, and get the transcripts. and then, how long do the credits last, how many do you use etc

Comment

Working...
          X